Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

determined; firm; steadfast
various
adept
foster
resolute
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Intent vs intention

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Origin of the term "sugar daddy"? | look forward to meet you?
listening exercisestell a friend
Intent vs intention #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 08, 2004 19:31 pm   Intent vs intention

Hi! Explain please the difference between intent and intention.
thank you
Terminator
You can meet me at english-test.net

Intent vs intention #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 08, 2004 21:01 pm   Intent vs intention

Hi again,

How do you always manage to come up with such interesting questions?
The words 'intent' (noun) and 'intention have the same meaning, but there is a difference in nuance. "Intention" implies only that you have decided to do something. "Intent" implies a very firm resolve or will to do something. In other words, "intent" is the stronger of the two words when speaking of your future course of action. Also, "intention" is a noun and "intent" acts as either a noun or an adjective.

My intention is to have this project finished by the end of this month. (I hope I do finish by the end of this month!)
My intent was to make the situation better. (I really tried to make it better.)

TOEIC listening, question-response: How long will the special promotion last?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Intent vs intention #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 08, 2004 21:14 pm   Intent vs intention

Your intent Torsten is very very good. I think so
Bye
Terminator
You can meet me at english-test.net

Intent vs intention #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 17:39 pm   Intent vs intention

i think so too
SynchroPhasotron

Intent vs intention #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 18:04 pm   Intent vs intention

maybe word "intent" you can use when you think about something to do .... and "intention" you can use when you are going to do something ... I think so....
Newmath047

Intent vs intention #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:09 am   Intent vs intention

I was always curious of why 'intent' is used in the title 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent', instead of intention. Now I understand the reason. :) Thank you for your easy explanation, Torsten!
Sweetpumpkin
I'm here quite often ;-)

Origin of the term "sugar daddy"? | look forward to meet you?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'by end of October' vs 'by the end of October'Apart from to say vs. Apart from sayingaccess v.s. the accessEvery English people vs. Every English personwhat is a difference between "intent" and "intention"?meaning of "selling the sizzle"Opinion: I have problems with phrasal verbs, usually they don't sound naturalConstruction "they had been running..."?Phrase 'I can't help myself'usage of "fawn"historic vs. historicalas God (as v.s. is) my witnessHow do you pronounce "with these things"?