Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

fond of the company of others; sociable
exotic
egotistic
gregarious
venerable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers

TOEFL Practice tests Increase your TOEFL test score with
120 Vocabulary + 100 Grammar tests
600 TOEFL flashcards plus an ESL book
ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFL® Test and essay samples collection
Topic: It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books | friends who are different from ourselves Vs friends of similar type
listening exercisestell a friend
Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am   Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers

Topic : Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Teaching is a noble profession. While most of us think that future of a society or a country depends on its youth or students, in my opinion, it is in the hands of teachers. In many ways, students are influenced by their teachers. Not only their knowledge but also their behavior plays a critical role in molding today’s students into matured, wise and well-educated individuals of tomorrow. Ironically, nowadays most of the teachers fail to understand the influence of their profession on society. They are treating it merely as a job with monetary benefits but not as a profession with social responsibility. Consequently educational standards in schools are decreasing every day. Hence it became imperative for many institutions to evaluate the performance of their teachers. Although reluctant, I support the notion of students evaluating their teachers.

Quite often many hotels seek feedback, from their visitors, on their hospitality and on different cuisines served by them. Why are they so eager to take the feedback? It is because our reviews help them to understand their strengths and weaknesses and eventually to improve their service. Similarly, a feedback on his teaching enables a teacher to analyze his performance.
Success of a teacher lies in his efficiency in making his student understand his teachings. In order to do so, teachers use different teaching methodologies when teaching his class. While some methodologies are effective, some may not be as effective as expected. Student’s evaluation is important for a teacher to assess the efficacy of his methodology. Accordingly, teachers can always bring necessary changes in their teaching methods to help students.

Analyzing a teacher’s performance from a student’s perspective helps the school administration to maintain better education standards in the school. Using students’ reviews as the base, authorities can sack incompetent and ineffective teachers and hire new teachers who can be of more help to the students.

Appreciation is the best way of encouragement for anyone. Appreciating one’s good work motivates him to achieve more. These evaluations motivate all those teachers, who got good feedback from their students, to work even harder and help students as best as they can.

At the outset this idea may be perceived by most of us as not only inept but also illogical. However, considering current plight of our education system and the tendency of many teachers towards their profession, it may be more beneficial than detrimental to evaluate the professional efficiency of teachers.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why is the student talking to the advisor?
Happiness is the every day sunshine of your life
Vsravan
I'm here quite often ;-)

Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:52 am   Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers

I am trying to evaluate my own essay here and need your suggestions or input.

1) Consequently educational standards in schools are decreasing every day.

Shouldn't there be a comma after Consequently?

Consequently, educational standards in schools are decreasing every day

2)Hence, it became imperative for many institutions to evaluate the performance of their teachers

Did I miss a comma after Hence?

3) Using students’ reviews as the base, authorities can sack incompetent and ineffective teachers and hire new teachers who can be of more help to the students.

is 'the' required here?

4) considering the current plight of our education system and the tendency of many teachers towards their profession

is 'the' not required here?

I never know when would I be able to use these articles perfectly?:))

they are one letter( a) ,two letter( an) & three letter( the ) words but these small words are a big pain for me . Can someone please help me
Happiness is the every day sunshine of your life
Vsravan
I'm here quite often ;-)

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:09 am   Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers

Vsravan wrote:
I am trying to evaluate my own essay here and need your suggestions or input.

1) Consequently educational standards in schools are decreasing every day.

Shouldn't there be a comma after Consequently?

Consequently, educational standards in schools are decreasing every day

Include the comma.

Quote:
2)Hence, it became imperative for many institutions to evaluate the performance of their teachers

Did I miss a comma after Hence?

It's optional. Personally I wouldn't use it. There is no pause necessary.
A good trick to knowing where the commas go is to read your work aloud. Where you naturally pause, you are likely to need some sort of punctuation.

Quote:
3) Using students’ reviews as the base, authorities can sack incompetent and ineffective teachers and hire new teachers who can be of more help to the students.

is 'the' required here?

It's optional depending on whether you wish to emphasise the students of those new teachers in particular or students in general.

Quote:
4) considering the current plight of our education system and the tendency of many teachers towards their profession

is 'the' not required here?

'The' is essential there.

Quote:
I never know when would I be able to use these articles perfectly?:))

they are one letter( a) ,two letter( an) & three letter( the ) words but these small words are a big pain for me . Can someone please help me

For uses of 'a/an' versus 'the' have you seen this?
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/16/index.html

With regard to 'a' or 'an' - always use 'a' unless the following sound (not letter, necessarily, but the sound it makes when you say it) is a vowel sound.
Language Coach

Topic: It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books | friends who are different from ourselves Vs friends of similar type
ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFL® Test and essay samples collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on TOEFL Test Forums
complain about a product to its manufaturer :written complaint or meet personallyClasses where students should not talk Vs Classes where student talking is allowSome people say that governments need to do more to prevent damage to the environplease revise, agree or not:It was easier to succeed in the past than it is todayfamily is the most important influence on young adults. OR Friends?people trust their first impressions about a person’s character because they beliPlz revise. In a team, those who do not accept others' criticism can not succeedcollege or university education should be available to all studentshelp me correct the mistakes in this passage thxCould someone check my essay?Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watchinstudents should be given a long holidy every year or multiple short vacationsHi, someone please rate my essay. Word count-480, wil I be penalised for this?