fearful; aware; conscious; worried; concerned
apprehensive
misanthropic
sordid
depraved

If you could invent something new, what product would you develop

Questions which are worth 2 or 4 points. How to score them? TOEFL® iBT | When students move to a new school, they sometimes face problems.
If you could invent something new, what product would you develop #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27 am   If you could invent something new, what product would you develop

Topic : If you could invent something new, what product would you develop? Use specific details to explain why this invention is needed.

With the advent of various automobiles and new technological innovations in the automobile industry, travelling is much easier now than earlier. In old days, horses were a prominent mode of transportation. Today, we have different types of automobiles such as buses, cars, trains and airplanes which make our travel much safer, faster and easier today than that of old days. In spite of bestowing us with some benefits, they pose greater threat to the human existence by increasing pollution and releasing more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Moreover, availability of fuel or gasoline, which is mandatory for these vehicles to run, is limited, and extracting or refining petrol or gasoline from crude oil is a costly affair for most of the governments. To overcome all these hurdles, I would like to invent an automobile which uses water ,rather than gasoline, as its fuel.

Palpably, water is more abundant than any other type of fuel. Two third of this earth is covered by water. It is also a known fact that water is a natural resource. We neither have to incur extra cost for its extraction nor have to make strenuous efforts to locate it.

Human history shows us a plethora of examples in which ‘the quest for fuel’ was the main source of conflict among nations. Many wars were fought to gain control over oil or gas rich areas. If we can invent an automobile that runs on water- an omnipresent and an abundant natural resource- then we can easily avoid all these conflicts and wars. In this way, my new invention paves way for peace and harmony in this world.

Water contains only hydrogen and oxygen, which are not as harmonious as carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. Hence, by using water as fuel, we can reduce the pollution in the atmosphere. High pollution is contaminating our otherwise beautiful environment and affecting our health to a great extent. So it is imperative that we should have another alternative to the existing automobiles.

Our success lies not just in identifying various anomalies which are threatening the existence of human beings, but in overcoming those problems with our hard work, dedication and intellectual thinking. While no one denies that automobiles have changed our perception towards life and helped us in many ways, understanding their negative impact on humans is equally, if not more, important. My new vehicle, while keeping all the benefits intact, ensures to mitigate or nullify all the drawbacks of present day automobiles.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and a professor in the professor's office
_________________
Regards
Sravan
======================
Happiness is the every day sunshine of your life
Vsravan

If you could invent something new, what product would you develop #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am   If you could invent something new, what product would you develop

Water contains only hydrogen and oxygen, which are not as harmonious HARMFUL as carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. Hence, by using water as fuel, we can reduce the pollution in the atmosphere. High pollution is contaminating our beautiful weather and affecting our health to a great extent. So it is imperative that we should have another alternative to the existing automobiles.

Our success lies not just in identifying various anomalies which are threatening the existence of human beings, but in overcoming those SUCH problems with our hard work, dedication and intellectual thinking. While no one denies that automobiles have changed our perception towards life and helped us in many ways, understanding their negative impact on humans is equally, if not more, important. My new vehicle, while keeping all the benefits intact, ensures to mitigate or nullify all the drawbacks of present day automobiles.

__________________
Harmonious means Musical, Sweet Music. :P!
If you do invent such a vehicle, I shall probably be the first buyer, keep a discount please:P! Good Essay!
_________________
Just a confused kid... trying to live through twists & turns of life!
------
Everything Is Temporary!
Katty2010

Location: GaintPeach

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemSign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
If you could invent something new, what product would you develop #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 pm   If you could invent something new, what product would you develop

Hi Katty2010,

It is insane to think of buying such an innovative vehicle on a discount. :) My vehicle is going to save you thousands of dollars which you are spending on gas or petrol today. with my new car, all you have to do is simply go to a nearby stream or river and load the fuel tanker with water.:)). When you have a prospect of saving thousands of dollars.. why do you care for a petty 5% or 10% discount? haha...So, I am not going to offer any discount.
_________________
Regards
Sravan
======================
Vsravan

If you could invent something new, what product would you develop #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm   If you could invent something new, what product would you develop

Btw, thanks a lot for your revies and suggestions .

1) harmonious & HARMFUL : This is a big blunder. Even though I am well vesred with both these words, I made this mistake. Is it because of 30 min time cinstraint? I dont know.... but this one word makes the entire paragraph more confusing to the readers... those two words are almost like antonyms( if not gramatically atleast conceptually).

2) In the penultimate sentence of my essay.. I have used " negative impacts".. I think " adverse effects" would be more suitable.

3) In the last sentence, I think " ensures to " is not required.

My new vehicle, while keping all the benefits intact, mitigates or nullifies all the drawbacks of preent dat automobiles.
_________________
Regards
Sravan
======================
Vsravan

Newbie going to take toefl® at the end of May !The only way to reduce the amount of traffic in cities today is by reducing the nWearing a school uniform should be mandatory or optional for students?Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants, Other prefer to cookFunding to sports vs universities.Why are groups or organizations important to people?Many people say that the only way to guarantee getting a good job is to completeBig city vs small town. Please review my essayI need help with the TOEFL®Television has destroyed communication among friends and family. Review it pleasereal world experience vs bookish knowledge. please review my essayPeople listen to music for different reasons and at different times. Why is musicPlease check my essay~Thanks