Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

rubbing out; deletion; eradication
fax
carriage
erasure
example
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the difference between "job" and "work"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Some, any, little and a little | What does cash machine mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
What is the difference between "job" and "work"? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 18:13 pm   What is the difference between "job" and "work"?

Test No. incompl/elem-2 "Money accepted", question 2

She is very happy because she starts her new ......... today.

(a) job
(b) work
(c) labour
(d) post

Test No. incompl/elem-2 "Money accepted", answer 2

She is very happy because she starts her new job today.

Correct answer: (a) job

Your answer was: incorrect
She is very happy because she starts her new work today.

how can i improve the correct usage of words?
Muhammad Ashraf

Job vs work #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 18:46 pm   Job vs work

Dear Muhammad,

Many thanks for taking part in our forum.
You see, many English words have similar meanings but in a certain context only one particular word is correct. Such is the case with the sentence you are referring to: Here we talk about a person's job - her contract with her employer. In this context the word job is more concrete than the word work describing a number of responsibilities and benefits.

As to your question on how to learn the proper use of English words - it's best when you try to memorize words in combination with other words, that is, you learn phrases (collocations, idioms, expressions etc.) instead of single words.
Please, let me know what you think.
Regards
Torsten

TOEIC listening, question-response: Why aren't you answering your phone?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "job" and "work"? #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am   What is the difference between "job" and "work"?

Hello Mr. Torsten,
Can you give me an example where we can say that a "work is started"? Because I am confused whether a work is ever started, in my case I always use "task" for the purpose. Is that correct? Plese reply.
With Regards,
Santak Dalai
Santak
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What is the difference between "job" and "work"? #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am   What is the difference between "job" and "work"?

Hello Santak,

'Task' is fine when you are talking about one particular thing.
'Work' can be a little more general.
I will be starting work in a few minutes, and expect to have completed a number of tasks by lunchtime.

Note that I didn't say 'I will be starting a work...'We don't use the article because 'work' is an uncountable noun. 'Task' is countable.
Language Coach

What is the difference between "job" and "work"? #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 am   What is the difference between "job" and "work"?

Hi Santak,

We would use 'work' without 'a' when referring to an activity as in: Work has started on the building of a bridge across the river. The word is also used with 's' at the end as in: Roadworks on the motorway are causing serious traffic delays and also in: This edition contains the complete works of Shakespeare.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Some, any, little and a little | What does cash machine mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
hard working familygerund formswhich tense should be used when referring to two past actionshi how to tell verbs of perceptionTest incompl/inter-799, Question 4herd vs. flockIf I'm hindering you, I'll leave the room?to school vs. at schoolReported Speech-BackshiftDoes four-square mean completely?I have been a four-eyes?Does it mean that he thinks if he were seen to drink with some of his employees?left me some money in his will?