preliminary; beginning
informal
subordinate
introductory
rational

Meaning of 'bombarded'

Meaning of information and coverage is similar? | Difference between host and landlord
Meaning of 'bombarded' #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:24 am   Meaning of 'bombarded'

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #102 "Retirement Plans", question 6

Consumers are constantly ......... with pleas to buy products that they, 'can't live without.'

(a) bombed
(b) bombarded
(c) bombarding
(d) bombards

ESL/EFL Test #102 "Retirement Plans", answer 6

Consumers are constantly bombarded with pleas to buy products that they, 'can't live without.'

Correct answer: (b) bombarded

_________________________

What is meaning of "bombarded" in this situation ? is it an adjective? Thanks. James
james

Meaning of 'bombarded' #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:01 am   Meaning of 'bombarded'

Here, bombarded is the past participle used as part of the passive verb:

Consumers are bombarded [by advertisements] with pleas...

Bombard = to assail persistently, as with requests; to subject to a continuous flow of questions or information.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'churn out' mean?Idiom for performing in live theatre is "on stage"Future rules: What will you be doing this time tomorrow?They made their minds up and decidedSimple past vs. present perfectPresent perfect?Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?Difference between dying, living, legal?Meaning of leaseMeaning of "bear down"Why peculiar and not typical?Can we say 'the routine can be killed'?Why here commercials?