to restore to health; to make well; to correct a bad habit; to preserve food
image
assign
relinquish
cure

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

I'm having some difficulty in English! Some one helps me please!!!! | Correct me if I am wrong
What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:04 am   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

Would you like to tell us what's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?
Daisy5

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:50 am   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

Compared to "cooperate", "collaborate" tends to suggest a closer relationship. For example, two authors might collaborate on a book, meaning that they write it together, working jointly towards a shared goal. "collaborate" sometimes has a sense of working jointly to do something bad.

You can "cooperate" towards a shared goal too, but you might also cooperate simply to help out someone else, and cooperation does not necessarily have to be done enthusiastically. For example, someone might cooperate with the police after their arrest, which would mean answering questions honestly, and so forth. If they "collaborated" with the police then it would imply that the police were crooked.

"coordinate" is different. It means to direct and organise people/tasks/etc. so that they all work together smoothly.
Dozy

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:05 am   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

Dozy wrote:
"collaborate" sometimes has a sense of working jointly to do something bad.

Could you possible be thinking of 'collude', Dozy?
'Collaborate' to me can be equally positive or negative. It only has a sense of working to do something bad if that is what the context indicates.
If someone were to say 'Who were the collaborators?' or 'Who collaborated on this?' without additional context, I would not immediately think negatively.
In contrast, if someone were to say 'Who colluded on this?' then I would immediately think of something more conspirational, secretive or harmful.
_________________

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:26 pm   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

No, I think I was thinking of collaborating with an enemy, but I didn't explain it specifically enough.
Dozy

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 13:27 pm   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

I thought you probably meant it was context dependent - it seems that's the case. No worries. Your explanations are always pretty specific.
_________________

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 15:24 pm   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

Thanks Dozy and Beees neees,
I'm so glad to get the helps from both of you.
Would you like to give me any examples with each word? That will be more helpful for me to understand and use them correctly.
Daisy5

What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate? #7 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 16:15 pm   What's the difference between collaborate, cooperate and coordinate?

Dozy has given examples of 'collaborate' and 'coordinate'.
collaborate: the writers worked together and successfully collaborated on a number of novels.
coordinate: the manager coordinated the efforts of his team, making sure everyone did their part to make the project successful.

'Collude' = conspire, plot.
The president accused his opponents of colluding with bank officials to rig the prices.
_________________

it will to get rid of me. why does it use " to"Clauses help!wars down the yearstwo sentencesAlan Townend's (English audio, MP3)shot someone's boltIrreal situationHelp with my uncertainties, please?have all had?write me at / to + E-mail addresssynonyms for "still, whole, alarm and bold"What does this mean?as nothing compared to