complete; full; entire; healthy
compliant
major
funnelled
whole

Difference between error and mistake

That car just cut me off? | What does 'branches' mean?
Difference between error and mistake #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 14, 2006 14:25 pm   Difference between error and mistake

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #72 "Synonyms for mistake and error", question 9

You will make a terrible ......... in introducing her to your parents.

(a) blunder
(b) slip
(c) error
(d) defect

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #72 "Synonyms for mistake and error", answer 9

You will make a terrible blunder in introducing her to your parents.

Correct answer: (a) blunder

_________________________

I would like to know the difference between "error and mistake"

Thanks to you.

Lagrange
Lagrange

Error vs. mistake #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 14, 2006 18:42 pm   Error vs. mistake

Mistake is the most general word of all these synonyms and most often it is used when you use a wrong word in a text, for example.
Error is often used when you type a wrong letter in a word. Error is more formal.
Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between error and mistake #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:59 am   Difference between error and mistake

Hi Daniela!
Thanks for your feedback!
U r completely right!!! But in the field of teaching, "error" is used as a strategy for teaching when we give students exercises or drills which r higher than their real levels, so it's expected that they will make errors so that they can learn new information through knowing the right answers!!!
On the other hand, "mistake" is made when a learner give the wrong answer but for something he is supposed to know! It's also used in our life " Do we really learn from our mistakes?"!!!
adam.heart30@gmail.com

Location: Egypt, Bahrain

Difference between error and mistake #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 am   Difference between error and mistake

Hi Adam,

Is 'U r' an error or a mistake, I wonder?

_________________

Difference between error and mistake #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 am   Difference between error and mistake

Hi Adam,

I'll hazard a guess that it's a typo =) (let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt)
Although some people can't be bothered to go to the trouble of spelling out 'you', let alone 'are'.
_________________

hiii #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 am   hiii

hii Alan!
Thanks for the feedback! But I see that you r seeking mistakes!!! Haha!!! This is a good example for a mistake one may do!!!!! Next time, I hope u will find an error!!!!
As for "toe" that's because I write without looking at what I type!!! I am not an expert at typing!!!! Thanks again
Adam
adam.heart30@gmail.com

Location: Egypt, Bahrain

hiii #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am   hiii

Adam, he is also politely encouraging you to write correct English. As a language forum, this is a place that students come to learn. Incorrect language can be misleading.
Mordant

Location: United States

Difference between error and mistake #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 am   Difference between error and mistake

Ok! Forgive me!!! I just chat much and use abbreviations like these but I promise I will type full forms of words!!! Sorry again!!!
adam.heart30@gmail.com

Location: Egypt, Bahrain

I'm off on mondays and tuesdays or I take the days off on monday and tuesday?Is there any text by which not only English grammar?Does it mean that you better leave Mark alone and don't bother him?Difference between "tired" and "fed up"Is seems suitable here?Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?Shirley has gone to the library?What is a cell phone?its vs. theirFraternal twins vs. identical twinsclearning vs. brushingWe all got wet?risk vs threat