Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

forceful; energetic; vigorous; spirited; alive
dynamic
permanent
introductory
inspiring
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of solitary

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Gazing vs. staring | What does "go over" mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of solitary #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 17, 2006 19:37 pm   Meaning of solitary

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for solitary and single", question 1

I know how to enjoy my privacy and I never really feel ........., even when there is nobody around.

(a) single
(b) alone
(c) solitary
(d) apart

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for solitary and single", answer 1

I know how to enjoy my privacy and I never really feel alone, even when there is nobody around.

Correct answer: (b) alone

Your answer was: incorrect
I know how to enjoy my privacy and I never really feel solitary, even when there is nobody around.

What does it mean solitary?
harald

Meaning of solitary #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 17, 2006 21:48 pm   Meaning of solitary

Hi,
solitary means:experienced or performed alone,living a life of
solitude(state of being alone),single ,alone, having few friends , lonely,without people,empty.
Jan
Jan
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Solitary vs. alone #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:25 am   Solitary vs. alone

Hi,
If I can add up a little something it's that alone means being apart from others, lacking the company of others, but not necessarily unhappy.
Solitary is often someone who prefers solitude as a way of living.
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

Gazing vs. staring | What does "go over" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "take it back"'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'Prepositions exercises: is off = is badI lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Difference between "book" and "order"?I should use "some" instead of "any"Why can't I use "was dead" here?Meaning of rebukedWhy can't I use "Call up" here?Help: A tropical fishMeaning of "I should be there at about five o'clock"Meaning of solo"to drive" vs. "to have driven"