demand for goods or services; rate of purchase and sale; fair
market
exit
illustration
resist

Expression "lift a finger"

Test incompl/advan-108, Question 8 | About the Infinitive
Expression "lift a finger" #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 18, 2006 22:19 pm   Expression "lift a finger"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Hands on", question 4

It's no good asking anybody in that shop to help you because they won't lift a finger.

(a) show you the way
(b) carry your goods
(c) take your order
(d) do anything at all for you

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Hands on", answer 4

It's no good asking anybody in that shop to help you because they won't do anything at all for you.

Correct answer: (d) do anything at all for you
_________________________

None of the possible solutions are enough meanful for the "lift a finger" expression.
Literally "not lift a finger" mean when a person don't want to help you at all for any reason.

LuisMi
LuisMi

Lift a finger #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:56 am   Lift a finger

Hi LuisMi,

I don't really understand why tou say:

to explain:

It's no good asking anybody in that shop to help you because they won't lift a finger. when the explanation is:
won't do anything at all for you.

Isn't your explanation exactly the same?

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression "lift a finger" #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am   Expression "lift a finger"

what about " lift a hand" ?
what are the differences between them ?
Maple_Leaf

Location: Secret Garden

Expression "lift a finger" #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 am   Expression "lift a finger"

Hello Maple Leaf,

The relative phrases are 'lift a finger' or 'lend a hand'. We would not say 'lift a hand' or 'lend a finger' here.
_________________

Expression "lift a finger" #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 am   Expression "lift a finger"

Hi Maple Leaf,

'Lift a hand' wouldn't work for me as an idiom. Ironically on the positive side, 'lend a hand' is used to express the idea of helping.

Some people can't be bothered to do anything for anyone and never lift a finger to help others. At the same time there are those who are always willing to join in and help and lend a hand.

_________________

Expression "lift a finger" #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 16, 2010 14:40 pm   Expression "lift a finger"

Idioms
not lift/raise a finger/hand (to do something)
(informal) to do nothing to help somebodyThe children never lift a finger to help around the house.
( Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary)
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic7877.html?sid=4097cea6335bbd2a212b434a1d51fd4b
Maple_Leaf

Location: Secret Garden

Test incompl/advan-653, Question 7Road construction is still in progressMy son is currently under the instruction of a tutor?Hi, what is a A U-hole truck?What does "cancels on you" mean?Test incompl/elem-109, Question 6Test incompl/inter-195, Question 3simple past of 'cut'Test incompl/elem-164, Question 6Test incompl/inter-254, User's Answer 8Test express/inter-7, Question 4Test express/inter-7, Question 3Test express/inter-6, Question 8