preference; precedence; higher rank; privileged position; seniority
incline
premises
altitude
priority

What is blue-collar sector of the industry?

Visit vs. encounter | Expression "Look forward to"
What is blue-collar sector of the industry? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:12 am   What is blue-collar sector of the industry?

Test No. incompl/advan-1 "Code of Practice", question 5

Job losses are mainly in the ......... sectors of the industry.

(a) blue-collar
(b) red-collar
(c) stiff-collar
(d) high-collar

Test No. incompl/advan-1 "Code of Practice", answer 5

Job losses are mainly in the blue-collar sectors of the industry.

Correct answer: (a) blue-collar
_________________________

Best wishes
Emmanuil
Emmanuil

White vs. blue collar #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:43 am   White vs. blue collar

Anonymous wrote:
Question to Test: Incomplete Sentences, Advanced Level, No 001

correct answer:

Best wishes

In contrast to white collar - clerical, admin - office workers etc blue- collar is a fancy word for manual workers. It comes from the colour of overalls and other clothing used in manual labour.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I need the new tests for elementary level! #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 19:01 pm   I need the new tests for elementary level!

Dear Alan!
I live in Sofia, Bulgaria. I learn English at school, but my knowledge is not a good :(
I need very much your beautiful tests, but for beginners.
I find your site as very important and interactive. I visit it almost every day and make the tests, but intermediate and advanced levels are very difficult for me yet.

Best wishes from Bulgaria
Niki
Niki Borsman

Location: Bulgaria

Niki, mother tongue? #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 19:30 pm   Niki, mother tongue?

Hi Niki, What language do you speak in Bulgaria, Bulgarian I take it? It's a Slavic language similar to Russian, isn't? What's the current population in the country? :D
Clark

Location: London

I need the new tests for elementary level! #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 20:37 pm   I need the new tests for elementary level!

Niki Borsman wrote:
Dear Alan!

Best wishes from Bulgaria
Niki

Hi Niki,

I'm glad that you are enjoying the tests. Work hard, read as much English as you can and I'm sure you will be able to do the intermediate tests soon.

Best wishes

_________________

Niki, your English is fine! #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2003 21:15 pm   Niki, your English is fine!

Niki Borsman wrote:
Dear Alan!

Best wishes from Bulgaria
Niki

Hi Niki,
Your English is good - you can say what you think. Come here often and we'll talk and your English will get better automatically :)
Savvythought

Trullllllly Wonderful... #7 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:37 am   Trullllllly Wonderful...

First of all,

I'd love to thank you Very much for all the time spent praparing those Test

I'm from Yemen, Started to learn english 4 years ago and still have the will to go on to the Advanced Level, I got a little poroblem here, I Don't know why I do forget How to spell word even if they are very popular like the Word (Cancelled) or the word (Please) and so on, Also I think that I can't express the Ideas I have in mind the way native speakrs Do? :cry: ..

I found you Website very helpful and verry well orgnized..SO Please Keep the good work of yours (free) :wink: and forgive me for taking this long of your pricious time

Yours

Poet

Trullllllly Wonderful... #8 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:39 am   Trullllllly Wonderful...

Anonymous wrote:
First of all,

Yours

Poet

I Don't Konw Why It wrote Gust insted of my User name (Poet)....... :?: :!:
Poet

Location: Yemen

Trullllllly Wonderful... #9 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:27 am   Trullllllly Wonderful...

Hi Poet,

Thanks for your email and please don't apologise for taking up time. That's not necessary. We're just pleased that you have taken the trouble to write in the first place. It's people like you that make the whole site worthwhile. You can work away and put tests online but until someone like you bothers to write, we don't know who's using the tests.

Good luck in your further study of English

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

What is blue-collar sector of the industry? #10 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:49 pm   What is blue-collar sector of the industry?

Mr Alan

Thnk you For Passing By my little note, Am I allowed to ask questions about any thing in English or the forum was ment for tests discussions :?:

and I wonder If I Can Add your Site to my Links page in my website if you like the idea I'll add right away.. 8)

One Last thing, Would you please Intruduce yourself to Us.. :wink:

Many thanks

What is blue-collar sector of the industry? #11 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:53 pm   What is blue-collar sector of the industry?

Anonymous wrote:
Mr Alan

and that's the link of the Site

http://e-yemen.net

and the english Forum Link in my Forum

http://e-yemen.net/bb2/viewforum.php?f=16

Many thanks

Same Problem,,
Poet

Location: Yemen

Here we go... #12 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:01 am   Here we go...

Dear Poet,
I'm pleased to me you. It's so exciting to get feedback from people all around the world. As Alan said, it's you - our users, students and partners, who make our project worthwhile and useful. So, yes please do go ahead and ask questions regarding the English language. In this subforum here Alan focusses on answering questions concerning his tests. He also will give you explanations as why a particular answer is correct.
The other forum 'What would you like to talk about?' is an open forum and you can talk about any subject as long as you stick to Netiquette and use your English :)
See you at the forum

TOEIC listening, photographs: A flooded community

What is blue-collar sector of the industry? #13 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:13 am   What is blue-collar sector of the industry?

It's my plasuere to participate in this wonderful site, I'll invite all my freinds to try those ipmrissive Tests and feedback throught this Forum

Thank you Sir

Regards

Pm. Your site was added to my Links page in my web site
Poet

Location: Yemen

Tasty Tests #14 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:41 am   Tasty Tests

Dear poet,

We are all learning something every day..including the correct usage of a language. In my opinion, only PRACTICE will give us more confident in using a language in public. If we do the tests with an interest to improve our English, then all these tests are becoming very tasty.

The tests in this website are wonderful. I hope all of us are enjoying a free treat from the founders of this useful web-project.

Thanks to Mr. Alan and his effective team for their incomparable works in designing and developing all these tests for us.

Let us make a better future with better language..
_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

John rides vs John rideissue vs mindSentence: Jim and I butted heads when we first met,...'to put all one's eggs in one basket'What are your comments about your career progression in your workwhat does anti-fraud mean?What does 'make up for' mean?what does frost mean?difference between "repute" and "reputation"What is a fall guy?what does a chaff mean?What is the meaning of "humble pie"?Can the letter "a" be a preposition?