Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

obligated; engaged; industrious; ambitious; loyal
annoying
committed
harmful
occupied
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does telemarketing mean? | What is a motion sensor?
listening exercisestell a friend
Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest' #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:12 am   Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #90 "Using Make and Do (1)", question 9

The teacher suggested they ......... another exercise to understand the problem better.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #90 "Using Make and Do (1)", answer 9

The teacher suggested they do another exercise to understand the problem better.

Correct answer: (b) do

Your answer was: correct

Dear Sir,

Why not DID here?

Thanks in advance

Enlearnercn
Enlearnercn

Present subjunctive #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 22, 2006 17:43 pm   Present subjunctive

In this sentence:

The teacher suggested they do another exercise to understand the problem better.

do is a subjunctive. The sentence could also read:

The teacher suggested that they should do another exercise to understand the problem better.

Sometimes, as is the case in this example, the should is omitted before certain verbs. Here the infinitive do is left alone and becomes a subjunctive.
Conchita
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest' #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 10, 2009 13:07 pm   Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

Would you explain to me when we know whether the sentence is subjunctive or not?

Thanks in advance.
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest' #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 22:32 pm   Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

Hi Watie

You could visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive
Comparing subjunctive with imperative and indicative would help you discern them.

Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest' #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 15:23 pm   Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

Hi,

I would like to ask that if we use subjunctive mood, we can break the sequence of tenses?

Aiken

Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest' #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 18:41 pm   Subjunctive verbs after 'suggest'

Aiken, I don't understand your question.
Mordant
Language Coach

What does telemarketing mean? | What is a motion sensor?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?Shirley has gone to the library?What is a cell phone?its vs. theirFraternal twins vs. identical twinsclearning vs. brushingWhat is a senior citizen?What is a remote control?What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?become excited vs. become scaredWhat's a carescape?Do the platypuses lay eggs?What do you mean by mammals?