Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to blend; to be blended; to combine or unite into a single body; to be assimilated
fade
coach
bank
merge
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between "book" and "order"? | Prepositions exercises: is off = is bad
listening exercisestell a friend
I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect) #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 22, 2006 16:59 pm   I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #94 "While, during and for", question 3

I lived in Denpasar ......... several years.

(a) while
(b) during
(c) for

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #94 "While, during and for", answer 3

I lived in Denpasar for several years.

Correct answer: (c) for

Your answer was: correct

My question is not about for, during and while. Why you used Past Indefinite instead of Present Perfect we do not have "last week" or "yesterday" in the sentence but we have "for".
Michely

I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect) #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:35 am   I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)

For represents duration, but it need not be duration up to the present time; it can occur solely in the past:

I lived in Los Angeles for three years [before I moved to Yokohama].

I have lived in Yokohama for fifteen years

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between "book" and "order"? | Prepositions exercises: is off = is bad
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of Lodge'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'Is newspaper countable?Meaning of "take it back"Why "to call that person direct" is used?Using KNOCK UP, KNOCK OFF and KNOCK ON'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'"this is Sue" vs. "here is Sue"I should use "some" instead of "any"Why can't I use "was dead" here?Meaning of rebukedWhy can't I use "Call up" here?What does "go over" mean?