Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

display; layout; clothing; menu
sound
attention
array
improvement
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Please help me in writing my motivation letter | I feel lousy today
listening exercisestell a friend
Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 14:57 pm   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #93 "Why Questions", question 6

......... year did Prince Charles of England marry?

(a) What
(b) Which
(c) Where
(d) Who

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #93 "Why Questions", answer 6

What year did Prince Charles of England marry?

Correct answer: (a) What

Your answer was: incorrect
Which year did Prince Charles of England marry?

Dear Sir

Would you please explain why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here?

thanks a lot in advance

Stone
Stone

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 13:38 pm   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

We expect to use what in this question because, for the average reader, there is a wide range of years as possible answers. I myself have no idea as to what decade saw his marriage!

Which is normally reserved for the cases of two only or a very limited number of choices:

What time is it?
Which time is better for you, 2:30 or 3:30?

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 07, 2010 19:55 pm   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

it should be which why, what?
Sruj

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 07, 2010 23:48 pm   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

What.

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 am   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

To be able to use 'which' in the test question, the sentence would need to begin with 'in'.
'In which year did...'
As it doesn't, then 'what' is the only correct alternative.
Language Coach

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 am   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

Hmm.

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #7 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 am   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

You are (of course) right to be dubious of my answer, MM.

Strictly speaking, even with 'In which year' there would need to be a limited choice ('In which year out of the following...). However, I suspected that this is what was in the OPs mind and given that many native speakers would accept 'in which' without question, it was my clumsy attempt to explain why it couldn't be used here, even if you ignore the rule of choice of years.
Language Coach

Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:47 am   Why not use 'which' instead of 'what' here

Listen to this voice message 194 Listened
Hi,

There's a long running UK radio programme called 'Desert island discs' where a well known person is supposedly marooned on a desert island and may choose the 8 discs they would take with them. Two questions are always asked: Which of the 8 discs would you hate to lose on your desert island? They can then take a favourite book and are asked: What book would you like to take? They can choose whatever they like.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Please help me in writing my motivation letter | I feel lousy today
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
our analysts have spelled out what happenedRobert's courting Tanyaon the other handHe allows squattingflag down a taxiDig one's heelIf only/only ifWhat does 'this is' mean here?article "a" or "the"When we use an article "an" ?He is adorable.A gait is a specific walking or running pacethen you can board the plane.