Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who falls prey (to an attack, deception, etc.)
victim
danger
cure
keep
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

the new lamp vs. a new lamp

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I prefer e-mail to fax machines | Couldn't possibly
listening exercisestell a friend
the new lamp vs. a new lamp #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 am   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #222 "Articles (3)", question 7

I have to buy ......... new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.

(a) a
(b) an
(c) the
(d) (none)

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #222 "Articles (3)", answer 7

I have to buy a new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.

Correct answer: (a) a

Your answer was: incorrect
I have to buy the new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.

The new lamp has been decided with the colours. So, isn't there a previous idea which to buy...!!! In that case can't we use 'the' there?

I feel it like this, "I have to buy the new lamp for the bedroom which matches the other colours in the room"

Thanks.
Suneethaago
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

the new lamp vs. a new lamp #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 27, 2011 13:16 pm   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

Actually, the colours have nothing to do with it; that remark could come with the decision. Just saying 'I have to buy the new lamp' indicates that it has been spoke of before. But it hasn't been spoken of before in this text, so 'a'.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
the new lamp vs. a new lamp #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:06 pm   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

Yes. I feel 'a' is correct.

Thank you for your explanation Mister Micawber.
Suneethaago
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I prefer e-mail to fax machines | Couldn't possibly
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
hiveld?security systemsWhy risk losingfigurative expressionin your elementbut you were too busyDoes hysterically mean funny?Riding the bus?difference between sight and viewWhat does 'get over' mean?difference between latest and newestWhat is the meaning of "well-rounded"?Which vs. who