person who falls prey (to an attack, deception, etc.)
victim
danger
cure
keep

the new lamp vs. a new lamp

I prefer e-mail to fax machines | Couldn't possibly
the new lamp vs. a new lamp #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 am   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

ESL/EFL Test #222 "Articles (3)", question 7

I have to buy ......... new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.

(a) a
(b) an
(c) the
(d) (none)

ESL/EFL Test #222 "Articles (3)", answer 7

I have to buy a new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.

Correct answer: (a) a

I have to buy the new lamp for the bedroom. I will go to the store on Saturday to find one that matches the other colors in the room.
_________________________

The new lamp has been decided with the colours. So, isn't there a previous idea which to buy...!!! In that case can't we use 'the' there?

I feel it like this, "I have to buy the new lamp for the bedroom which matches the other colours in the room"

Suneethaago

the new lamp vs. a new lamp #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 27, 2011 13:16 pm   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

Actually, the colours have nothing to do with it; that remark could come with the decision. Just saying 'I have to buy the new lamp' indicates that it has been spoke of before. But it hasn't been spoken of before in this text, so 'a'.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
the new lamp vs. a new lamp #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:06 pm   the new lamp vs. a new lamp

Yes. I feel 'a' is correct.

Thank you for your explanation Mister Micawber.
Suneethaago

hiveld?security systemsWhy risk losingfigurative expressionin your elementbut you were too busyDoes hysterically mean funny?Riding the bus?difference between sight and viewWhat does 'get over' mean?difference between latest and newestWhat is the meaning of "well-rounded"?Which vs. who