Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

capability of being carried out; capability of being achieved; likelihood; probability
feasibility
gratitude
subordinate
president
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why "to call that person direct" is used?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is newspaper countable? | 'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'
listening exercisestell a friend
Why "to call that person direct" is used? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 18:13 pm   Why "to call that person direct" is used?

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Telephones", question 5

Each extension is assigned to one person in the organisation which make it possible to call that person direct.

(a) Each
(b) to
(c) make

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Telephones", answer 5

Each extension is assigned to one person in the organisation which makes it possible to call that person direct.

Correct entry: makes
The error was: (c) make

You have found the error and your entry is correct.

Why "to call that person direct" is used? I thought "directly" was right.

Irina
Irina

Why "to call that person direct" is used? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:19 pm   Why "to call that person direct" is used?

That's a very good question, Irina!

The word 'direct' can also be used as an adverb (i.e. without the -ly), but I'm afraid I can't give you a rule for when you can use 'direct' instead of 'directly' as an adverb. Maybe one of the others can do this.

One piece of advice I can give you, it might be best to learn this group of words - 'call someone direct' - as an idiom. It means to phone someone without a "middleman", such as a switchboard operator or secretary.

If I said "call someone directly", I would probably understand the meaning of 'directly' to be the same as 'right away' or 'without delay'.

Amy

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Is newspaper countable? | 'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
When i can use conjunction "so"?Meaning of "reject the plan out of hand"Except vs. accessMeaning of "murder on the spot"'pass out' is the same as 'pass out'Meaning of LodgeMeaning of "take it back"Using KNOCK UP, KNOCK OFF and KNOCK ON'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'"this is Sue" vs. "here is Sue"Prepositions exercises: is off = is badI lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Eldest vs. older