to transmit over the radio; to publicize; to advertise
interject
validate
fare
broadcast

How can cat be sitting on a wall?

telling vs. told | What does speak up mean?
How can cat be sitting on a wall? #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:49 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons Test", question 8

The cat issitting ......... the wall.

(a) on
(b) over
(c) above
(d) underneath

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons Test", answer 8

The cat issitting on the wall.

Correct answer: (a) on

The cat issitting underneath the wall.
_________________________

i think you are trying to say the cat is sitting on the wall, if that so, how can it be sitting on a wall?

Kaysi
Kaysi

Off the wall #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:18 pm   Off the wall

There are different kinds of walls. Usually they are structures of brick/stone, etc. forming:

a) the side of a room or building
b) the boundary of a piece of land

A cat can sit on the second kind of wall. Or it can jump over it :wink: . It can also go to the wall, which means it is defeated -- maybe when it couldn't catch a mouse and all this sent/drove the cat up the wall (made it furious!).

I hope you won't find these explanations off the wall (strange) :) .

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How can cat be sitting on a wall? #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:22 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

hi,
why the answer (b)over is not right?
thanks.
Rishi070

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:56 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

'Over' often suggests movement and doesn't really fit with the verb 'sit', which would indicate a fixed position. You can say: The cat jumped over the wall (from one side to the other) or: The tree is hanging over the wall (grows up one side and down the other side).

_________________

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:10 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Hi Alan,
got it. thanks.
Rishi070

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #6 (permalink) Sat Mar 28, 2009 15:19 pm   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Alan I can't get it ( sit on) please answer me
Sasooo

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #7 (permalink) Sat Mar 28, 2009 15:44 pm   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

I sit on a sofa or a chair, the cat is sitting on top of (on) the wall
_________________
No comment
Shyone

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #8 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 23:16 pm   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Are the words beneath, underneath, below and under correctly used in this sentence:

They buried the stolen money beneath/underneath/below the wall and sat under it(the wall) for hours under the moonlight regretting down below what they had done.

Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

Re: How can cat be sitting on a wall? #9 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am   Re: How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Will this sentence make any sense if you use about in the meaning near?
Kaysi wrote:
The cat is sitting about the wall.
Gatherer

Location: Russia

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #10 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

No. That doesn't work at all.
_________________

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #11 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Aliraf62 wrote:

Ali

I would say
They buried the stolen money beneath/underneath the wall (below makes it sound as if the wall does not reach down to the ground) and sat beside it under the moonlight for hours. regretting deep inside what they had done.
_________________

How can cat be sitting on a wall? #12 (permalink) Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:25 am   How can cat be sitting on a wall?

Thank you for your help.
Gatherer

Location: Russia

to audition for a role?Has just won vs. just wonmeet with somebody vs. meet somebodyroute vs. rootwhy in this sentence we can not use leaved?What does the latest news mean?It can be like this know? Make vs. made'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLYThere's little hopeGive a lift to someoneDifference between choose and findMeaning of "that said"