final; occurring as a result
eventual
traditional
cautious
frisky

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
ooVoo | What did Steve mean?
how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Hi everyone! I have a problem
about how to
pronounce the words that ending in -ed and -d, I was trying to record my voice and saying a few words with
the suffix ed or d, but the result of
my voice record is the pronunciation
sounds strange when there are some words
a bit difficult for me to say, for examples: LOOKED (sounded like locket),
LISTED, begged,
WATCHED, Walked , SOUNDED, LIKED, HATED and
almost all words ending in -ed or -d. I was listening to the English songs but that's
not too helpful, too many noises of musical
instrument sounds besides the singer itself. If you are native English speaker, I hope you can
help me by recording
your voice here. Thanks

Minah
MNHashanah

Location: Paris van Java, Indonesia

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Hello Minah,

Well I can speak the words for you though I can't explain why some words ending in -ed or -d come off sounding more like a -t when being spoken. Hopefully someone else with that answer will see this thread and can answer that for you but here are how the words sound with a typical American accent.

looked
listed
begged
watched
walked
sounded
liked
hated

I hope that helps you a little.

Take care!
Megan
_________________
Come talk with us in the Speak Spontaneously thread! http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic78982-1470.html
Xiaomuou

Location: An American lost in the Netherlands

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 13:33 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Hi MNHashanah,

I think you should try to pronounce 'liked' 'talked' 'looked' trying to make the end sound like a 'd'. For practical reasons in those examples you are forced to make the end sound as a 't'. Let me try and you'll hear how difficult it would be.

_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 20, 2011 17:26 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

I've dug up a couple of good old rules of thumb on these types of situations:

1. If the last letter of the word is spelled with a d or t,
the e is not silent, and the ed is pronounced as /Id/:

Attended, spotted, sounded.

2. If the last letter of the word ends in a voiced consonant or a vowel sound,
the e is silent and d is pronounced as /d/.

Opened, begged, breathed

3. If the last letter of the word ends in a voiceless consonant,
the e is silent and the d is pronounced as /t/.

Looked, talked, watched.
_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2011 18:53 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

My english teacher though me that if the last letter before ed is a vowel or Y like try= tried you pronounce like D or if it ends with any other consonant you should do it like T, the E is basically soundless, I don't know wheather is easier and right.
Kiko

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #6 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2011 23:00 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Doesn't work for me.
I pronounce watched with a /d/ at the end.
_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #7 (permalink) Sun Oct 16, 2011 13:20 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Beeesneees wrote:
Doesn't work for me.

I am no expert, but my pronouncing dictionary does not show such an option. Maybe it is just the matter of an accent; As far as phonetics is concerned, everything works exactly as Our Tort System described.
Weaself

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #8 (permalink) Sun Oct 16, 2011 13:54 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Phonetics can be variable. There are often instances when two phonetic versions of a word are correct, dependent on accent. It does not pay to be too prescriptive and to follow 'rules' slavishly.
_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #9 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

That is very interesting. I'd love to hear your pronunciation of the word "watched". Could you record that? And I thought that only the rules of grammar tended to be bent :P
Weaself

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #10 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Megan has already recorded the pronunciation of the word 'watched' here: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic81181.html#390446

TOEIC short conversations: Giving directions to a co-worker who is on her way to a factory

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #11 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

HI Bev,

I would like to hear you say it sounding like a 'd'.

_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #12 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Sorry, I meant the recording of Beeesneees saying that word.
Weaself

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #13 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 am   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Hi Weaself,

That's what I've just said.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #14 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 19:19 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Do you really say watch-t?
_________________

how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d? #15 (permalink) Thu Oct 20, 2011 19:31 pm   how to pronunce the words ending -ed or -d?

Yes, I do

I watched Strictly come Dancing last night. If I said it with a 'd' sound, it would come out like this - which I find very difficult to say.

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

ooVoo | What did Steve mean?
ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Do you know what/s going on?Choosing the right wordDictation 2RocksAny ideas?Architects of Fate part 2Dictation 1hi, help!AutumnAccentshow can we learn listening?my first voice messagePractice Forever