Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

periodic wage paid to someone for work; pay
enthusiasm
posture
bulk
salary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How or What: How/What does it look like?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Halt and stop | What does this expression mean: 'oil gevalt"?
listening exercisestell a friend
How or What: How/What does it look like? #1 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 14:46 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

Hi! I would like to get your opinion on this. Thanks.

Which sentence is correct?
1) How does it look like?
2) What does it look like?
Chocolatee
You can meet me at english-test.net

How or What: How/What does it look like? #2 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 15:20 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

Both
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
How or What: How/What does it look like? #3 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 16:41 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

chocolatee wrote:
Hi! I would like to get your opinion on this. Thanks.

Which sentence is correct?
1) How does it look like?
2) What does it look like?

Hi chocolatee

Only sentence 2 is grammatically correct.
The correct form of sentence 1 would be --> How does it look? (i.e., the word 'like' is incorrect here.)

A response to "How does it look?" would normally be an adjective.

A response to "What does it look like?" would usually be a noun. (i.e. something that looks similar to "it"). You might end up getting adjectives as a response here, too --- especially if you ask about a person rather than a thing. As Pamela mentioned, in the response, you need an object after the word 'like' .

Examples:
Q: "How does it look?"
A: "It looks fantastic!"

Q: "How does he look?"
A: "He looks angry."

Q: "What does it look like?" (it = his house, for example)
A: "It looks like a castle in a fairy tale."

Q: "What does he look like?"
A: "He looks like a movie star. He's tall, dark and very handsome! In fact, I think he looks a lot like George Clooney."

Amy

Halt and stop | What does this expression mean: 'oil gevalt"?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Anyone or anybodyThe straw that breaks the camel's backThe adjective "STORMY" AND omitting wordsI've told the childrenPundits Discuss the Internet's Future?Is or Are before the number of days in a week?Definite and indefinite article plus simple past/gerundMean to do something isAS far AS: I wouldn't go as far as that but the main...Because "rain" is both verb and nounMeaning of "catch-as-catch-can policy""Awhile" OR "a while"Can I replace "and" with "but" in this s