periodic wage paid to someone for work; pay
enthusiasm
posture
bulk
salary

How or What: How/What does it look like?

Halt and stop | What does this expression mean: 'oil gevalt"?
How or What: How/What does it look like? #1 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 14:46 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

Hi! I would like to get your opinion on this. Thanks.

Which sentence is correct?
1) How does it look like?
2) What does it look like?
Chocolatee

How or What: How/What does it look like? #2 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 15:20 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

Both
Pamela

Location: RF

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
How or What: How/What does it look like? #3 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 16:41 pm   How or What: How/What does it look like?

chocolatee wrote:

Which sentence is correct?
1) How does it look like?
2) What does it look like?

Hi chocolatee

Only sentence 2 is grammatically correct.
The correct form of sentence 1 would be --> How does it look? (i.e., the word 'like' is incorrect here.)

A response to "How does it look?" would normally be an adjective.

A response to "What does it look like?" would usually be a noun. (i.e. something that looks similar to "it"). You might end up getting adjectives as a response here, too --- especially if you ask about a person rather than a thing. As Pamela mentioned, in the response, you need an object after the word 'like' .

Examples:
Q: "How does it look?"
A: "It looks fantastic!"

Q: "How does he look?"
A: "He looks angry."

Q: "What does it look like?" (it = his house, for example)
A: "It looks like a castle in a fairy tale."

Q: "What does he look like?"
A: "He looks like a movie star. He's tall, dark and very handsome! In fact, I think he looks a lot like George Clooney."

_________________

Anyone or anybodyThe straw that breaks the camel's backThe adjective "STORMY" AND omitting wordsI've told the childrenPundits Discuss the Internet's Future?Is or Are before the number of days in a week?Definite and indefinite article plus simple past/gerundMean to do something isAS far AS: I wouldn't go as far as that but the main...Because "rain" is both verb and nounMeaning of "catch-as-catch-can policy""Awhile" OR "a while"Can I replace "and" with "but" in this s