to indicate; to itemize; to mark; to designate; to stipulate
mend
crop
verify
specify

difference between "pool" and "collect"

Meaning of 'Executive Snack Route Consultant' | it is important to consider
difference between "pool" and "collect" #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:27 pm   difference between "pool" and "collect"

ESL/EFL Test #809 "Juneteenth, a holiday in the United States", question 7

All over Texas, freed slaves ......... their money to buy land for their increasingly large Juneteenth festivities.

(a) collated
(b) remaindered
(c) pooled

ESL/EFL Test #809 "Juneteenth, a holiday in the United States", answer 7

All over Texas, freed slaves pooled their money to buy land for their increasingly large Juneteenth festivities.

Correct answer: (c) pooled

All over Texas, freed slaves collated their money to buy land for their increasingly large Juneteenth festivities.
_________________________

Good morning.
I don't understand the slight difference between "pool" and "collect". Both of them seem to have the same meaning.
Thank you in advance
Mik
690

difference between "pool" and "collect" #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 13:52 pm   difference between "pool" and "collect"

to pool something - to put it together... to join everyone's amount/resources together.
to collect something - to gather it together... to get an amount/resources from everyone.

In this context both of those words are appropriate. This is presumably why 'collect' is NOT one of the question options.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
pay a tollreluctanceNeverto work twelve-hour shiftsYou couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?How is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?Why use "distinction" in this sentence?Based on income?What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?Phrase: Well, to be honest I've had a few problems recentlyMeaning of hard-bittenDo damage with the car vs. do damage to the car