to stop; to cause to stop; to pause; to hesitate; to be uncertain
stack
relinquish
commute
halt

reluctance

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? | Phrase: Well, to be honest I've had a few problems recently
reluctance #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 16:58 pm   reluctance

ESL/EFL Test #833 "Ancient Plastic Surgery", question 9

Plastic surgery techniques did not really gain an acceptance in the West until the 18th century. Even then, there was a real reluctanace to do little more than to ......... wounds.

(a) reconstruction
(b) reinvent
(c) religiously
(d) cauterize

ESL/EFL Test #833 "Ancient Plastic Surgery", answer 9

Plastic surgery techniques did not really gain an acceptance in the West until the 18th century. Even then, there was a real reluctanace to do little more than to cauterize wounds.

Correct answer: (d) cauterize

_________________________

There's a mistake.
Shouldn't be "reluctance", should it?
690

reluctance #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 17:01 pm   reluctance

Thanks for pointing this out. I've made the change it will appear with our next database update.

TOEIC short conversations: Catering employee calls customer to inform her about a delivery problem.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
This country has now adaptedWhat does 'shrub' mean?pay a tolldifference between "pool" and "collect"it is important to considerNeverto work twelve-hour shiftsYou couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?How is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?Why use "distinction" in this sentence?Based on income?Meaning of hard-bitten