Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

rational; logical; intelligent; wise; plausible; likely; credible
reasonable
widespread
firm
correct
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Third person singular (simple present)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'Well, take the times when everything freezes' | Please, explain to me why correct answer is C
listening exercisestell a friend
Third person singular (simple present) #1 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 10:37 am   Third person singular (simple present)

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Elementary English Grammar", question 4

......... play guitar all the time.

(a) She
(b) He
(c) Us
(d) They

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Elementary English Grammar", answer 4

They play guitar all the time.

Correct answer: (d) They

Your answer was: incorrect
He play guitar all the time.

why is the answer "they" and not "he"?
sveta

Third person singular (simple present) #2 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 am   Third person singular (simple present)

Simple present tense: the verb needs an 's' in the third person singular (he/she/it verb+s), but not in the third person plural (they verb).

He plays guitar all the time.

They play guitar all the time.

Amy

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Third person singular (simple present) #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:42 am   Third person singular (simple present)

I wish to add a bit to clarify:
The rule is that we must add "s" to the simple present tense form of the verb if the subject is third-person singular.
This rule is related to the person and number of the subject in the sentence. Person and number are used here in the grammatical sense. An animal or inanimate object can have grammatical person, such as "the dog" or "it" or "the book". Any reference to anyone or anything that is not the speaker or the addressee of the speaker (in a sense, this means "not me and not you") is third person, even names and groups, such as John, the committee, France, or canaries. When the simple present tense of the verb ends with "s", we add "es" to satisfy the rule of adding "s" ("The car passes quickly" "John does that well").
Lance
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Third person singular (simple present) #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 am   Third person singular (simple present)

Hi, I have a question.
I read somewhere, I have to say "play the piano". Why is it right to say "play guitar" without "the"?
Ralf
Ralfix
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Third person singular (simple present) #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 am   Third person singular (simple present)

You can 'play the piano' or, if you are not talking about one particular piano, but speaking about your ability to play, you can say 'play piano'
You can 'play the guitar' or, if you are not talking about one particular guitar, but speaking about your ability to play, you can say 'play guitar'.

The same rules apply.
Language Coach

Third person singular (simple present) #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:28 am   Third person singular (simple present)

Hi Ralfix,

The usual way of saying that you play an instrument is to use the article 'the' as in 'play the guitar/the piano/the violin and so on. The article is usually omitted when someone is describing what members of a band or an orchestra play as in: Charlie plays guitar and Mary plays piano in this group.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'Well, take the times when everything freezes' | Please, explain to me why correct answer is C
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
mergers and acquisitionseasementhe leaned over to whisper somethingseven engineering featsI don't sleep as wellIs tipping a taxi driver customary"mostly important" or "most importantly"Will you, please, explain to me?how you can tell the differenceinsist vs consistwhat does 'have a change of heart' mean?What time the banks closed in Britain?'live up a hill' versus 'live into a hill'