Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reputed; famous
elementary
unfair
graduate
name
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of impoverished

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why it is have? | Difference between 'clears' and 'explains'
listening exercises
Meaning of impoverished #1 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 12:18 pm   Meaning of impoverished

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Hands on", question 3

They have lost all their money and now lead a sort of hand to mouth existence.

(a) impoverished
(b) simplified
(c) leisurely
(d) indifferent

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #2 "Hands on", answer 3

They have lost all their money and now lead a sort of impoverished existence.

Correct answer: (a) impoverished

dont understand the meaning of impoverished

Lola
Lola

Meaning of impoverished #2 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 pm   Meaning of impoverished

impoverished is an equivalent of "poor","miserable","depauperate"
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of impoverished #3 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 13:09 pm   Meaning of impoverished

pamela wrote:
impoverished is an equivalent of "poor","miserable","depauperate"

Hi Pamela

I have to admit that "depauperate" is not part of my active vocabulary. But as far as I can tell, this would not be a good synonym here, since it appears to be mainly used in connection with plantlife.

I'm curious where (how) you learned this word, though...

Amy

Meaning of impoverished #4 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 13:58 pm   Meaning of impoverished

Yankee wrote:
Hi Pamela

I have to admit that "depauperate" is not part of my active vocabulary. But as far as I can tell, this would not be a good synonym here, since it appears to be mainly used in connection with plantlife.

I'm curious where (how) you learned this word, though...

Amy

Hi,Amy.It's also not a part of my active vocabulary but this word with the given meaning can be met in ABBYY Lingvo dictionary
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Why it is have? | Difference between 'clears' and 'explains'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is different between IN and ONMeaning of "watch out for"Phrasal verbs: 'went out' vs. 'go out'Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb CarryMeaning of "in a nut shell"Meaning of "use her noodle"Wise or wisely'real adventure to me' vs. 'real threat to me'Why 'accomodating' is not correct in this sentencesWhen is the proper use of in, on, at in sentences?Diffrence between main verb and present verbWhy only Those is proper here? Not 'these'?'He speaks' vs. 'He is speaking'