Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

enhancement; refinement; improvement
enrichment
employer
interior
clock
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Wise or wisely

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "in a nut shell" | Meaning of "use her noodle"
listening exercises
Wise or wisely #1 (permalink) Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am   Wise or wisely

correct sentence:

The question is whether it is wise to sell up all your shares at this stage rather than wait to see how the market is next year.

Correct answer: (b) wise

Your sentence is incorrect:

The question is whether it is wisely to sell up all your shares at this stage rather than wait to see how the market is next year.

I think that the word to be filled in the blank should modify the verb 'sell', so it should be an adverb (wisely) instead of an adjective (wise).

Please explain where i am wrong.

Naveen
Naveen

Wise/wisely #2 (permalink) Thu May 11, 2006 17:58 pm   Wise/wisely

Hi Naveen,

If you do something wisely, you use the adverb because you are describing the way in which you do it.

If you say it is wise to do something, there is no action and you are simply completing the sentence: It is .. with a complement - here the adjective wise.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "in a nut shell" | Meaning of "use her noodle"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "very first everning"Difference between 'work out' and 'work over'Past tense of complainPrepositions with time: The preposition ONWhat is different between IN and ONMeaning of "watch out for"Phrasal verbs: 'went out' vs. 'go out'Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry'real adventure to me' vs. 'real threat to me'Difference between 'clears' and 'explains'Why 'accomodating' is not correct in this sentencesMeaning of impoverishedWhy it is have?