exceptional; special; strange; odd; curious
tall
peculiar
tender
necessary

Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry

Meaning of "use her noodle" | Phrasal verbs: 'went out' vs. 'go out'
Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry #1 (permalink) Thu May 11, 2006 21:03 pm   Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", question 10

Animals and humans use the evaporation of water to ......... heat that is absorbed from the sun or generated by metabolic activity and exercise.

(a) carry away
(b) carry through
(c) carry off
(d) carry out

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", answer 10

Animals and humans use the evaporation of water to carry away heat that is absorbed from the sun or generated by metabolic activity and exercise.

Correct answer: (a) carry away
_________________________

could you explain me some idioms whith the phrasal verb carry

Janna
Janna

Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry #2 (permalink) Fri May 12, 2006 8:26 am   Idioms Whith The Phrasal Verb Carry

.
(a) carry away -- transport, physically or mentally. I was carried away by the Stones concert.

(b) carry through -- put into effect; bring to safety. We should carry through with the outline we have produced.

(c) carry off -- succeed. He carried off the masquerade completely.

(d) carry out -- accomplish; perform a command. The soldiers carried out the lieutenant's orders.

(e) carry on -- continue. Don't let me interrupt you; please carry on with your work.

(f) carry over -- retain until later. Any unused holidays shall carry over to the following month.

There are more 'carry' phrasal verbs, and many of these (and those above) have multiple meanings.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"switch off" vs. "turn off "Meaning of elopeMeaning of "very first everning"Difference between 'work out' and 'work over'Past tense of complainPrepositions with time: The preposition ONWhat is different between IN and ONMeaning of "watch out for"Meaning of "in a nut shell"Wise or wisely'real adventure to me' vs. 'real threat to me'Difference between 'clears' and 'explains'Why 'accomodating' is not correct in this sentences