being in competition; contending
rival
attendant
healthy
daily

transformation of sentences

Usage of Being | synonyms for correspond
transformation of sentences #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:47 pm   transformation of sentences

Can we legally transform a imperative sentence into assertive sentence?
Such as "Do the sum."
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 pm   transformation of sentences

No, I don't think so. I've never tried such a stunt, actually, but looking at your example offers me no hint of how it might be done.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
transformation of sentences #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:12 pm   transformation of sentences

another question,
can we transform the following sentence into interrogative--
"None can help us."
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:14 pm   transformation of sentences

Can none help us?
_________________

transformation of sentences #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:29 pm   transformation of sentences

Mister Micawber wrote:
Can none help us?

But the meaning is changed here.
then, can we say it is "transformation of sentence"?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #6 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 14:35 pm   transformation of sentences

I have also learn another way to make it interrogative that is
"who can help us?"(with out changing the meaning)
Is this correct?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #7 (permalink) Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:53 pm   transformation of sentences

Mister Micawber wrote:Can none help us?
But the meaning is changed here. then, can we say it is "transformation of sentence"?-- Yes, this is a transformation. The meaning is transformed from assertive to interrogative.

I have also learn another way to make it interrogative that is "who can help us?"(with out changing the meaning-- But you have changed the meaning more than I did!) Is this correct?-- It is not correct if you are looking to perform a sentence transformation.
_________________

transformation of sentences #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 am   transformation of sentences

Thank you for your solution, Now I know the real solution? One thing is very important that is in our country everybody learn transformation through my way which I have narrated above. But I was confused about the solution. Now it has removed from my mind.
Mister Micawber's what is your opinion for our country's procedure?

Another question,
"Go" can it be a sentence?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 am   transformation of sentences

Mister Micawber's what is your opinion for our country's procedure?-- I'm not sure which is your procedure; do you mean the sentence with 'who'? No, that is not transformation; that is creating a question for a given answer, which is a different exercise in language classes.

"Go" can it be a sentence?
-- Yes, an imperative one.
_________________

transformation of sentences #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am   transformation of sentences

Mister Micawber wrote:

"Go" can it be a sentence?
-- Yes, an imperative one.

1. what do you mean by "a given answer" that I underlined above.
2. Is there any example in which we can transform a sentence from one form(assertive, imperative, exclamatory, Interrogative e.t.c) to another form without changing the meaning?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #11 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 am   transformation of sentences

1-- used for referring to a particular thing. About 250 students are working with us at any given time. In a given situation, more than one of these methods may be used.

2-- What do you mean by 'meaning'? If you think that the members of the following pairs have different meanings, then the answer is 'No':

I like you vs I don't like you
I like you vs Do I like you?
Go to school vs You go to school.
You go to school? vs You go to school!
_________________

transformation of sentences #12 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am   transformation of sentences

Mister Micawber wrote:

I like you vs I don't like you
I like you vs Do I like you?
Go to school vs You go to school.
You go to school? vs You go to school!

1."Without out changing meaning" means the main sense of the sentence will remain same after and before transformation of the sentence.
2. Is the following example a transformation without changing the meaning?
affirmative: Every one will admit that he did the best.
negative: No one will deny that he did the best./There is none who will deny that he did the best/there is no one but will admit that he did the best.
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #13 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:05 am   transformation of sentences

1. You did not answer my question fully. Do you think that any of my example pairs demonstrate a change in meaning?
2. I wouldn't call those transformations but recastings. However, you may if you wish. To me, even these show a change in meaning, or at least perspective:

Every one will admit that he did his best. = They will all talk about it.
No one will deny that he did his best. = None will talk about it.
_________________

transformation of sentences #14 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 am   transformation of sentences

yes I think so--
I like you(expression of good feeling) vs I don't like you(expression of bad feeling)
I like you(speaker sure that he like) vs Do I like you(speaker not sure he like or not)?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

transformation of sentences #15 (permalink) Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 am   transformation of sentences

Well, I certainly think so. I don't think it is possible to 'transform' a sentence and retain its meaning, although your 'admit' and 'deny' examples illustrates a way to recast the same idea.
_________________

none too/none muchI remember (telling / having told) you a storyIs this a correct sentence?tag questionThe first anniversary!QuestionSit upright, sit straight ?spectacularcomparative adjectives and adverbscomparing actionsthan I/than mecompletion choices needed to be correctedfor which you have to