Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

list; evidence; best result ever attained; list of events or actions
record
disposition
industry
tenure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between talk and speak

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Lengthen the road | A say or say: She does not have a say in it
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between talk and speak #1 (permalink) Mon May 15, 2006 8:13 am   Difference between talk and speak

What is the difference between talk and speak?
How to use it?

Please Cite with examples.

Benny
Benny

Talk speak #2 (permalink) Mon May 15, 2006 8:49 am   Talk speak

Hi Benny,

Both obviously relate to the business of communication. Broadly speak has to do with the use of oral language and talk has to do with oral language in relation to one or other person - even to oneslf.

You can speak a foreign language, speak to a group of people, speak the truth.

You can talk to another person/other people in the sense of having a conversation, you can talk about a subject in the sense of having a view about something.

The two nouns give a sharper defintion - speech (speak) and talk.
A talk gives the idea of an informal discourse a speech describes a formal occasion as in a debate.

Imagine a situation when someone is giving a speech to an audience and in that audience two children are having a conversation, not listening to the speech and irritating the rest of the audience. This is how you would describe that:

While the minister was speaking at the meeting, two children were told to be quiet because they were talking to one another and making it difficult for people to concentrate.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Lengthen the road | A say or say: She does not have a say in it
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Explode and Blast: The bomb exploded with a terrible blastCould "Keep afloat" be used for a person?Must: Question TagsDown, Below, Lower: How lower could I possibly take my...Meaning of "slap the wrist"Meaning of "At their own end"Difference between Psychologist and PsychitristSet about: How do they set about starting...Direct or Indirect speech: He said to me, "What were...Meaning of "Cycling two/three abreast"Difference between hate and hatredMeaning of 'put in a little apartment'Verb INSTILL and infinitive at the end of a sentence