to open; to extend; to apply a layer on; to scatter; to distribute
exit
stem
book
spread

Difference between 'work out' and 'work over'

Past tense of complain | Meaning of "very first everning"
Difference between 'work out' and 'work over' #1 (permalink) Tue May 16, 2006 12:54 pm   Difference between 'work out' and 'work over'

ESL/EFL Test #29 "Who has done it?", question 1

The detective story is sometimes called 'whodunit' because the reader has to work ......... who did it, who committed the crime.

(a) in
(b) out
(c) off
(d) over

ESL/EFL Test #29 "Who has done it?", answer 1

The detective story is sometimes called 'whodunit' because the reader has to work out who did it, who committed the crime.

Correct answer: (b) out

The detective story is sometimes called 'whodunit' because the reader has to work over who did it, who committed the crime.
_________________________

What is the difference between work out and work over in this sentence?
Thank you

Sveta
Sveta

Wok out/over #2 (permalink) Tue May 16, 2006 13:08 pm   Wok out/over

Hi Sveta,

Work out is try to find an answer/calculate/deduce. Work over has the suggestion of trying to improve something you have done as in a piece of writing/a musical compostion.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between work out and work over #3 (permalink) Tue May 16, 2006 13:09 pm   Difference between work out and work over

Work over and work out are quite different in meaning. In the first case it denotes "redo" and "beat" while in the second case it means "to define""to make up""make a conclusion, deduction" and so on.
Pamela

Location: RF

Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum'Meaning of "carry out"Meaning of "carry over"Why is 'taken' used with 'are' instead of 'have'?Oversee vs. overlookTrust vs. "rely on"What does "know one's stuff" mean?"switch off" vs. "turn off "Meaning of elopePrepositions with time: The preposition ONWhat is different between IN and ONMeaning of "watch out for"Phrasal verbs: 'went out' vs. 'go out'