to shape; to create; to design; to arrange; to be created
hurry
margin
form
adopt

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

What seems to be the trouble? | Doubt on graduate
'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #1 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", question 1

I would like to make a demand to the hotel management that they allow people to choose the TV programme they want to watch.

(a) would like
(b) demand
(c) allow
(d) choose

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", answer 1

I would like to make a request to the hotel management that they allow people to choose the TV programme they want to watch.

Correct entry: request
The error was: (b) demand
_________________________

why are these the answers?

Oven
Oven

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #2 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 am   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Hi, English Learner!

Request is an entreaty, the man wants to ask the hotel management, not to order while demand is a requirement, order.
Pamela

Location: RF

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:06 pm   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Hello,can I use Claim here?
many thanks in advance
StJordi

Location: Xątiva

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:36 pm   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

'Claim' would not really work in that sentence, a claim can be considered a request or demand, but only if it is considered your due. In this case you have not earned the option to choose the TV programme. You are requesting the option.
_________________

My Friend doesnt understand how to make a sentence !What is a school transcript?insidious creaturesTest incompl/inter-193, User's Answer 10This text needs corrections - waiting for some help and commentsBirthday partyWhat does 'thaw' mean?they are not indigenoustraverse the world.the horrendous bedbugWhat does insidious mean?Get up late or early?Just before vs. just over