Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to shape; to create; to design; to arrange; to be created
hurry
margin
form
adopt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What seems to be the trouble? | Doubt on graduate
listening exercisestell a friend
'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #1 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", question 1

I would like to make a demand to the hotel management that they allow people to choose the TV programme they want to watch.

(a) would like
(b) demand
(c) allow
(d) choose

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "Gerunds and Prepositions", answer 1

I would like to make a request to the hotel management that they allow people to choose the TV programme they want to watch.

Correct entry: request
The error was: (b) demand

why are these the answers?

Oven
Oven

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #2 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 am   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Hi, English Learner!

Request is an entreaty, the man wants to ask the hotel management, not to order while demand is a requirement, order.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:06 pm   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

Hello,can I use Claim here?
many thanks in advance
StJordi
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

'make a request' vs. 'make a demand' #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:36 pm   'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'

'Claim' would not really work in that sentence, a claim can be considered a request or demand, but only if it is considered your due. In this case you have not earned the option to choose the TV programme. You are requesting the option.
Language Coach

What seems to be the trouble? | Doubt on graduate
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
My Friend doesnt understand how to make a sentence !What is a school transcript?insidious creaturesTest incompl/inter-193, User's Answer 10This text needs corrections - waiting for some help and commentsBirthday partyWhat does 'thaw' mean?they are not indigenoustraverse the world.the horrendous bedbugWhat does insidious mean?Get up late or early?Just before vs. just over