to reflect; to think; to consider; to meditate
become
jeopardize
ponder
cook

Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Are businessmen usually employed? | Uses of lest-should.
Sentences with same word and a different meaning #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 19:32 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Can you make 5 sentence that have the same word but carries a different meaning in each?

BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 19:49 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

It shouldn't be too hard to find a word with five different meanings (flick through a dictionary until you see a nice fat entry), but often the meanings will be related (etymologically the "same word"). The word "bay" is interesting because it has five entirely different meanings (listed as separate headwords in the dictionary). In addition, some of these can function as different parts of speech, with the result that MW has seven separate entries for the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo is a curious example of the same word used in three different ways in the same sentence.
Dozy

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Sentences with same word and a different meaning #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:09 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

OK, what about these sentence?
1- He set the table for eight guests.
2- He set the plates on the table.
3- He put the pudding in the plates after it had set.
4- He had a set of ten plates.
5- His guests arrived at the set time.

Is the meaning related?
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:20 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Those words you have set down on the page seem vaguely familiar. ;)

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:22 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

I said that as well. So they seem the same meaning?
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:39 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

I was just saying the I was the original author of those sentences :) #3 and #5 are somewhat related in that set means "fixed" although #3 is physically fixed while #5 is fixed in time. #1 and #2 are somewhat similar, I think "set the table" is an idiom based on #2's definition. I really can't see much of a relationship between the others.

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #7 (permalink) Tue Feb 07, 2012 20:41 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

OK. That's why I asked for help as soon as possible :)
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #8 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 0:07 am   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

OK, I will choose this one.
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #9 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 0:55 am   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Wow, that's excellent; you go to the head of the class with that answer.

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #10 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 0:58 am   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Which one do you think is better?
Head or Break?
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #11 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:37 am   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

I think I like the head one better. For your first break example, when you break your leg, it means you break your leg bone, which you can't really do by bending too much. Your third break example is a little unclear. When I hear "break in her voice" I think of a brief interruption, like during a cell phone conversation with bad reception. Your example doesn't really sound like that situation. If you say "her voice broke while singing the song" it means she couldn't hit the high note and sang the note flat, or too low.

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #12 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:24 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

Can you tell me what does this sentence mean?

- they paid fifty pounds a head.
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #13 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:31 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

They paid fifty pounds per person. ("head" is used to mean "person".)
Dozy

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #14 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:32 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

BlackCitadel wrote:

- they paid fifty pounds a head.

It just uses "head" to stand for the whole person. So it means fifty pounds a person. As a side note, cattle in the U.S. are almost always stated in head. So you don't say "100 steers", you say "100 head of cattle". "100 cattle" is grammatically incorrect by the way, which is probably why they use the head format.

Sentences with same word and a different meaning #15 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:34 pm   Sentences with same word and a different meaning

I understand its meaning as: They paid fifty pounds straightly...
BlackCitadel

Location: Egypt, Cairo

swim/swimming/swam ?is/was ?correct sentencecorrect sentenceawaredirect"someone like you" vs "someone likes you1) It is too hot today. (Incorrect)qualificationsA very good morningIs this sentence ok, if not, please correct it.Please rewrite this sentence for me.Are the following sentences make sense?