Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

descending
intensive
constant
simple
downward
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Cave vs cave in

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
a lot of uses | Fall asleep and be awake
listening exercisestell a friend
Cave vs cave in #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 14, 2012 18:46 pm   Cave vs cave in

Hi,

Could you check the sentences below. Also, is there any difference between them, assuming that they have passed a grammar check?

1. The going had gotten tough for him, but he was not one to cave easily.
2. The going had gotten tough for him, but he was not one to cave in easily.

Thanks!

PS: sorry, I've posted the question in the wrong thread by mistake.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cave vs cave in #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:51 pm   Cave vs cave in

The verb 'to cave' means to explore caves underground. This sentence doesn't make sense.
'To cave in' means to give in or give up, which basically mean the same, so this sentence is correct.
The use of 'gotten' is American English, British English would say 'got'.
Iowtrish
I'm here quite often ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: Cave vs cave in #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 17, 2012 22:56 pm   Re: Cave vs cave in

Our Tort System wrote:
1. The going had gotten tough for him, but he was not one to cave easily.
2. The going had gotten tough for him, but he was not one to cave in easily.
Hi Dean,

Both sentences are just fine.

My interpretation of each is as follows:

In sentence 1, the verb 'cave' seems more suggestive of 'give up' or 'stop trying to achieve/do something'.

In sentence 2, the use of 'cave in' tends to suggest to me that he might have been resisting agreement with someone else (or not allowing someone to do something) and he was unlikely to agree/relent/yield. (If he did cave in, it would be because it was too difficult for him to continue to disagree/not allow).

That's my personal reaction to your specific sentences. However, 'cave' and 'cave in' (meaning give up or yield) can generally be used interchangeably.

The verb 'cave' can be used with or without the word 'in', though I would guess that it is probably somewhat more common with 'in'.

---------------------------------------------

The verb 'to cave' can also be used to mean something similar to 'explore a cave'. However, I'd say people might tend to use the construction 'go caving' more often than just the verb 'cave'. Or you'll hear 'caving' used as an adjective ("They forgot to bring the caving gear, so we won't be able to go caving.")

Cave vs cave in #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:03 am   Cave vs cave in

Hi Amy and Iowtrish,
Thanks for your input.

@Amy,

Thanks a lot for going into so much detail on my account! I really appreciate your effort.
Now I understand the difference. :)))
And nice to see you on the forum again, after a long hiatus.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: Cave vs cave in #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 22, 2012 16:24 pm   Re: Cave vs cave in

Yankee wrote:
The verb 'to cave' can also be used to mean something similar to 'explore a cave'. However, I'd say people might tend to use the construction 'go caving' more often than just the verb 'cave'. Or you'll hear 'caving' used as an adjective ("They forgot to bring the caving gear, so we won't be able to go caving.")

By the way, do you use the word "spelunking" too?
As in "he went spelunking".

Thanks!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cave vs cave in #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:16 am   Cave vs cave in

Spelunking is certainly the word the experts use. It seems to suggest more than just exploring caves for fun.
Iowtrish
I'm here quite often ;-)

a lot of uses | Fall asleep and be awake
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Does thriftiness mean to save money with clipping coupons?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 5Test incompl/advan-847, Question 4Why can negotiations result in a significant discount?Test incompl/advan-847, Question 2Please check these paragraphs and correct if there are any mistakespull over vs. pull inWhat is a lone wolf?difference between trend and fashionWhat does "never mind" mean?Explanation: package to store left over food...Synonym of slappMeaning of voyage