to be plentiful; to be filled with; to overflow with
employ
reinforce
abound
expose

The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

To be or not to be | are they really a fan?
The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 22, 2012 16:31 pm   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

Hello everyone,
When I am looking for the the word 'of' in my Longman dictionary, it said that:
When referring to one of several people or things belonging to or connected with someone, or when using 'this' or 'that', use of + mine/yours/his/hers/ours/theirs : a friend of mine (NOT a friend of me) | a relation of ours (NOT a relation of us) |that car of yours (NOT that car of you) .

So Am I correct if I write like this?
The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good.

In my opinion, family's and mother's and wife's are correspond to 'mine, yours, hers,...'. Because they all are possessive pronouns. That's why I used the possessive case of 'family, mother, wife' in the sentence despite the fact that many people don't use the possessive form of nouns as in:

The status of the family of mother of wife of yours is good.
Anhminh1232002

The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 am   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

This question is very unclear to me. Only use the possessive case if what the subject possesses follows immediately after the subject. {Sorry if that is unclear} Say "my family's status" not "the status of my family's". So say either "my family's status is good" or "the status of my family is good". "Of my" shows possession, so the apostrophe-s is not needed.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 am   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

No, it should be: "The status of the family of the mother of your wife is good." Or, better: "The status of the family of your wife's mother is good.

The construction "of" + possessive is only used if an adjective ("red"), demonstrative pronoun ("this"), or indefinite article ("a") comes before the thing possessed (like "book" here): it is "some books of mine, that book of mine, a book of mine", but "give me books of mine" is impossible: it becomes "my books".

It is also impossible with "the" before the thing possessed: "the book of mine, the red scarves of John's" are impossible; that is "my book, John's red scarves".

Another condition is that the possessor must be one specific person ("the baker's": I'm referring to a specific baker because I use "the"; "John's": I'm referring to a specific person named John). If it is a specific thing/person, it cannot come between adjective/pronoun/article, so it must come after; it then becomes "of + 's" if it is a single person, but simply "of" if it is not a single person. So it is "a book of mine, a book of John's, a book of the baker's", but "a book of the family, of the library". The reason is that this special construction is only necessary (and only allowed) sometimes because you can't put a possessive in between an adjective/article/pronoun and a thing or person that there is only one of (like "I" or "John"): "a my book" is impossible, so it has to come after: "a book of mine". The reason why we use "of + possessive" with single persons and simply "of" elsewhere is arbitrary: it is just idiom.

If the possessor is not specific (like "a student", "people", "children"), it can come either before or after the thing possessed: "these baker's gloves, these gloves of a baker" (unless restricted for some other reason), though it usually comes before. That also depends on the word. If it comes after, it is always just "of", not "of + 's", because it is not specific.
Cerberus™

The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

Another condition is that the possessor must be one specific person ("the baker's": I'm referring to a specific baker because I use "the"; "John's": I'm referring to a specific person named John). If it is a specific thing/person, it cannot come between adjective/pronoun/article, so it must come after; it then becomes "of + 's" if it is a single person, but simply "of" if it is not a single person. So it is "a book of mine, a book of John's, a book of the baker's", but "a book of the family, of the library".

Why can't we say "a book of the family's, of the library's"? I think they are also 'a specific thing/person' ; because they contain 'the'.
Anhminh1232002

The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

We wouldn't actually say either of those in practice. We'd say one of these:
A family book / A library book / a book belonging to the family / a book belonging to the library / a book from the library.
_________________

The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm   The status of the family's of mother's of wife's of yours is good

If it is a specific thing/person, it cannot come between adjective/pronoun/article (..., ..., the baker's book), so it must come after; it then becomes "of + N's" if it is a single specific person, but simply "of" if it is not a single specific person.

Could you please give me an example for each cases (adjective and pronoun) ? I couldn't find out.
Anhminh1232002

To found vs to set upMay someone make it easy for me and go inside to help meCould someone tell me the answer of that?I would have had to hit him if he hadn't shut upCan you help with a sentence?Vocabularydon't know if fourWhat have we here? (The Merchant of Venice)Going to go out?Jebberwocky & parts of speechis it correct?one sentence containing three tenses (past, present and future)A set of objects with no specified relationship between them