Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to defend; to save from harm; to watch over; to guard
protect
invest
cause
gauge
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Going to go out? | is it correct?
listening exercisestell a friend
difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2012 17:15 pm   difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence

Hello, I'm a new member in this forum. I'm a student and a part time online English teacher for Asians and I need help for this. Please help me.

Which is correct?
A.) I usually use a subway and a bus because I can access THE types of transportation anywhere easily.
B.) I usually use a subway and a bus because I can access THESE types of transportation anywhere easily.

I preferred using letter B but grammar rule for article "THE" says that the second mention of a subject or noun is already definite. Is it also possible to use "
THESE"?

THanks -Victoria[/b]
Victoria Louise

difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2012 19:42 pm   difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence

I prefer "these". In fact, "the" does not really sound right to me here.

"a subway and a bus" does not really sound right to me either. I would say "the subway and the bus".
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2012 21:43 pm   difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

2 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Victoria Louise

I don't know why you have asked the same question twice when you have already been given a reply but since you have, I could add some more information. You would use 'the' with subway/ bus because you are referring to both types of transportation that are available and there for you. In the second sentence after 'because' the use of the definite article 'the' does not refer back to the two types of transportation in the first sentence. If you want to use 'the' in that second sentence, you would have to define 'types' with a further sentence as in: because I can access the types of transportation that are near where I live.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 am   difference between THE and THESE usage in a sentence

Thank you very much Mr. Allan~

I'm sorry about the duplication anyway
Victoria Louise

Going to go out? | is it correct?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
I would have had to hit him if he hadn't shut upCan you help with a sentence?are they really a fan?To be or not to beVocabularydon't know if fourWhat have we here? (The Merchant of Venice)one sentence containing three tenses (past, present and future)A set of objects with no specified relationship between themWhy is the usage of "the" in this sentence wrong?DEfinite article "THE" usage"past tense" and "present tense" in the same sentence, is itHe was engaging company