Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

thankful; appreciative; expressing thanks
grateful
frequent
congruent
beneficial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Jebberwocky & parts of speech

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
To found vs to set up | Error Correction
listening exercisestell a friend
Jebberwocky & parts of speech #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2012 23:35 pm   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

Hi everyone!

I am having really hard time figuring out the right answer. Every time I try to figure out the correct parts of speech that this poems belong to, I end up finding all the options wrong. I appreciate your help.

choose the parts of speech categorization that most likely fits the gibberish words from the poem.
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Choose one answer.
a. Brillig, raths, and wabe are likely verbs.
b. Gyre, gimble, and borogoves are likely verbs
c. Brillig, borogoves, mimsy and slithy are likely nouns.
d. Mimsy, slithy, and mome are likely adjectives.
Marymallory
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:15 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

This is a wonderful exercise. Here are a few hints. "The" almost always comes before a noun or an adjective noun combination. Did usually comes before a verb. Adjectives usually come right before the nouns they describe.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Jebberwocky & parts of speech #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

Thank you Luschen for taking the time and reply to my post. I did a lot of thinking, and I think the correct
answer is d. Do you agree?
Marymallory

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

You seem to have thought really well. I agree.

Twas brillig (n.), and the slithy (adj.) toves (n.)
Did gyre (adj.) and gimble (adj.) in the wabe (n.):
All mimsy (adj.) were the borogoves (n.),
And the mome (adj.) raths (n.) outgrabe (vb.).
Language Coach

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

A wonderful exercise indeed - I'll be introducing it immediately to my English class!
Iowtrish
I'm here quite often ;-)

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

How does this exercise relate to a 'real life' situation?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Checking the plans
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:42 pm   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

I think it would help in learning how to use context clues to figure out the meaning of new words. The first step in doing that is being able to figure out what part of speech the unknown word is based on where it is in the sentence.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #8 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 14:12 pm   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

You can accomplish this with pretty much any article or piece of text.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A woman wearing a headset
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #9 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2012 14:33 pm   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

Only if the text were gobbledigook. The beauty of using this extract from 'Jabberwocky' is that you cannot get any clues from the words themselves. The reader has to understand the technical aspects of each part of speech.
Language Coach

Jebberwocky & parts of speech #10 (permalink) Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 am   Jebberwocky & parts of speech

Thank you all. That really helped me.
Marymallory

To found vs to set up | Error Correction
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Bengal & BangladeshThe indignation of theFuture tense?This is on the level -- idiom?May someone make it easy for me and go inside to help meCould someone tell me the answer of that?I would have had to hit him if he hadn't shut upCan you help with a sentence?are they really a fan?Sentence: User should have navigated to the Mail information page.EMail for Snapshot requestWhich part?one sentence containing three tenses (past, present and future)