about
within
concerning
below
opposite

Port vs. haven

High profile and high drama | What does wear thin mean?
Port vs. haven #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:01 am   Port vs. haven

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", question 10

The last possible thing that anyone wants to happen to their country is to turn it into a ......... for troublemakers.

(a) port
(b) harbour
(c) haven
(d) location

Test No. incompl/advan-39 "State Secrets", answer 10

The last possible thing that anyone wants to happen to their country is to turn it into a haven for troublemakers.

Correct answer: (c) haven

The last possible thing that anyone wants to happen to their country is to turn it into a port for troublemakers.
_________________________

Hi!
Why my answer isn't correct?
Izolda

Haven #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:07 am   Haven

Port is essentially where ships come and go. The word 'haven' is needed here with the meaning of a safe place/a resting place.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Haven #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:21 am   Haven

Hi, Alan!
Can I use harbor instead of haven?
What's the differences between the two words?

Thank you!
Ilomu

Haven #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:38 am   Haven

Hi Ilomu,

Haven is a word meaning a safe place and not necessarily anything to do with the sea. Harbour is very much the same as port and is more associated with the sea.

_________________

Port vs. haven #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 09, 2013 16:10 pm   Port vs. haven

Hello Alan,

As it means a refuge, asylum we can say a paradise. I don't wish that my country is to turn into paradise for troublemakers.

Or did I misunderstand something?
_________________

Port vs. haven #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:39 pm   Port vs. haven

'Paradise' is generally associated with happiness/pleasure/delight in a positive way. 'Haven' can be a safe place for good and evil to shelter in.
_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Port vs. haven #7 (permalink) Fri Aug 09, 2013 20:14 pm   Port vs. haven

Hello Alan,

Excuse me if I exaggerated with my synonym.

You say:

I think - but maybe I don't understand your sentence, that's why I ask you my thought:

The last possible thing that anyone doesn't want to happen to their country is to turn it into a safe place for troublemakers.

Many thanks, but I really doesn't understand this sentence.

Regards.
_________________

Port vs. haven #8 (permalink) Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 am   Port vs. haven

Hello Alan,

As I didn't understand why troublemakers have to be in a haven.

Now I begin to understand as I found on the Google a film with title Haven.

"Haven is a 2004 feature film set in the Cayman Islands, a British offshore financial centre. The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2004. It is written and directed by native Caymanian Frank E. Flowers and filmed entirely in the 100-square-mile (260 km2) West Indian dependency."

"A corrupt and greedy businessman, Carl Ridley , is running from the government, with his 18-year-old daughter Pippa in tow. "

"Haven is an ensemble film in which unconnected lives intersect and result in a violent chain of events that turns tranquility into chaos. It was released in limited theaters in the United States on September 15, 2006.

The film's tagline(end lines) was, "Can love survive the fall of paradise?"

In this island troublemakers live who are able to turn tranquility into chaos . They are able to turn the tranquility of a safe place/ a havoc into chaos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haven_%28film%29

I think the penny has finally dropped.
_________________

What is souvenirs?teaching your wife to drive?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'What does reading public mean?English idiom: take out the trashIntroduce vs. enterMeaning of 'overrun'Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'Meaning of 'come into force'Curb stealing in the countryConditional III