substantial; real; tangible; current
enthusiastic
flawed
retail
actual

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
My self elocution lessons. Comments always welcomed. Welcomed to join. | Filling / Feeling
Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Hello is there someone who have a perfect british accent ???Please i'm looking for help.
I need your help for my project . I don't have a good british accent because i' m used to speak with the american accent so i find difficulties in managing words while talking . They told me in the Institute to take by heart the weather forecast performed by laura tobin but in fact ,i can not capture all the words she said. I'm waiting for your answer as soon as possible.
Miralina

Location: Tunisia

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 13:13 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Hello Miralina. Can you please tell us what you mean by 'a perfect British accent'? Are you referring to 'RP -- Received Pronunciation'? Only about 5% of all British people speak RP so why do you want to adopt it? I think it's best if you post a voice recording here on the forum so we can evaluate your accent: http://www.english-test.net/community/index.html#How_can_I_record_and_listen_to_audio_messages

TOEFL listening discussions: Why has the student been taking statistics?

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 14:34 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Hello Mr Torsten ! "so a perfect british accent" means that someone who speaks correctly and fluently . In the Institute where i study ,the professor asked me to record the weather forecast and to imitate laura tobin how she performs and talks . And really , i find many difficulties to do that because i'm not used to speak british english : I tried hard to memorize what she said but i failed .Please i need someone to help me to transcribe this audio track because she is too fast while speaking .
Miralina

Location: Tunisia

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 14:40 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Which audio track?

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students in a chemistry class

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 14:49 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

she speaks too fast so that i can't write any words from what she said "this is the link ": http://youtu.be/q2eSObPEDRc and sorry for bothering you
Miralina

Location: Tunisia

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:21 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Here are the first 35 seconds.

Hello there! Yesterday... yes, it was the hottest day of October on record. 29.9 degrees was our high.
Still a lot of warm, still a lot of sunny weather around in the forecast today, and a lot of dry weather as well. That is, in England and Wales. However, the north of England, the weather is changing through the coming hours. The sky is clouding over, outbreaks of rain, cooler here today, but south of here, for parts of the Midlands into Lincolnshire, for East Anglia and many southern counties of England, a beautiful afternoon to come.

Quite frankly, I think your professor is wrong to ask you to imitate any sort of an accent other than your own. As Torsten has already pointed out, there is no such thing as a 'perfect British accent'. I have lived in Britain all my life and don't sound anything like that weather reporter. (Incidentally, because she speaks informally, many of her sentences are broken in a way that would be considered incorrect in grammatical terms.)
What is important is that you can speak clearly using your own natural accent.
_________________

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #7 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:37 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Thank you very much for answering my question . In the Institute where i study , they ask to talk with the british english accent perfectly while even the professors don't speak fluently. Sorry for bothering you.
Miralina

Location: Tunisia

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #8 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:02 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Miralina wrote:
In the Institute where i study , they ask to talk with the british english accent perfectly while even the professors don't speak fluently.

I really wish professors wouldn't do that.

Good luck with your recording.

Claudia
Cgk

Location: Franconia, Germany, Illinois, USA

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #9 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:32 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Thank you Claudia . Hope so :-)
Miralina

Location: Tunisia

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #10 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:59 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

One of the words used by weather forecasters seems always to be pronounced in a strange way and often by women forecasters. And that's the word 'west'. So they talk about winds from the west, rain mainly in the west, later you can expect cloudy skies in the southwest and so on.

_________________

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #11 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 20:18 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

This is not received pronunciation correct? Wouldn't it be described as estuary? As an American, I wish I could pick out English / Australian / New Zealand accents better.

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #12 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 22:02 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

I wouldn't call that 'estuary English'. That seems a bit harsh!

_________________

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #13 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 22:35 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Oh, so is that a put-down? How about the Geico gecko - is his accent "estuary English"? I noticed that his accent changed about 2 years ago.

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #14 (permalink) Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 am   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

Hi Luschen,

Not quite sure what you mean by 'put down' - who is being put down? The speaker or you? My feeling is that the recording you have added is too warm and friendly to be 'estuary'.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker ! #15 (permalink) Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm   Please help ! Looking for a native English speaker !

I was trying to ask if saying someone has an Estuary accent is a put-down. Sorry, I know you weren't denigrating me.

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Could you please rate my short presentation?Could you please rate my short presentation?can grade my IELTS speaking?my voiceRe-write the following transcribed words into English spellingBritish vs American "can't"How to wirte sentence?Rate my english pleaseThe forumIntroductionDon from the us and MexicoHow to polish skills ?Preparation for Oral Test in school