regularly; persistently; steadily; stably
however
consistently
throughout
quarterly

Meaning of madding AND maddening

Best use of words: takes OR makes | Inspire vs. impress
Meaning of madding AND maddening #1 (permalink) Fri May 26, 2006 16:27 pm   Meaning of madding AND maddening

Hello everybody again

"Far from the madding crowd" is a famous novel by T. Hardy.

I think the word is MADDENING. What do you think?

Meaning of madding AND maddening #2 (permalink) Fri May 26, 2006 16:51 pm   Meaning of madding AND maddening

Hi Tom

I never use the word "madding" unless it's to talk about the novel you referred to. But I think madding would be different from "maddening".

A maddening crowd would be crowd that makes you mad.

A madding crowd would be a crowd that is itself crazy or mad or in a rage.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Expression: thesaurus after thesaurusMostly finished vs. almost finishedMeaning of GoofyDifference between 'did you ever' and 'have you ever'Expression: "we walk the talk"?'indulge + object' vs. 'indulge in + object'Can I say: 'My reach is far'What does it mean: bull's-eye, slopchest and bondstore?"the onus is on..." Style and popularity?Meaning of "a slow boat to China"Is this a Parallelism?"ask" and "ask of": difference?Hear or listen: Would you like to listen to some good news?