in the event of sudden need
own
preventive
regardless
emergency

"I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery"

be too cool for... | How American is the term 'mobile phone'?
"I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery" #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 am   "I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery"

Hi all,

What is right: "I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery"?

I think the first, since recovery is uncountable. But if I search for exact phrase in Google the latter phrase with the indefinite article seems way more common (used 5 times more), maybe I missed something?

Many thanks
Tf20

"I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery" #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 am   "I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery"

'I wish you a fast recovery' is correct. Recovery is countable in this context (and in most other contexts). It is one single recovery from whatever has been troubling you.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery" #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2012 0:43 am   "I wish you fast recovery" or "I wish you a fast recovery"

Thanks a lot. I was confused by http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/recovery where it's stated that it's uncountable. But now I see, moreover http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/recovery has a better/detailed explanation and illustrates that it's countable in most cases.
Tf20

ProstitutionWhat words should I put in the gap here?Translation help?This is the man, who (that) is going...Should and willAre these sentences natural? April 11"feedback"Which is correct?The use of "as"Please help.Good as it getsLower left corner / left bottom corner - what's the difference?"a second time" and "the second time"