Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

shape; image; framework; document with blank spaces to be filled in; fitness; type
incentive
waste
form
employment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Have you ever run away from home?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about?
Practising vs. practicing | Your first love
listening exercisestell a friend
Have you ever run away from home? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 16:20 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, I did.

I ran away from home at the age of 3. No joke.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Have you ever run away from home? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 23:53 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Never
Omarrizk
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Have you ever run away from home? #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 0:37 am   Re: Have you ever run away from home?

I did when I was 4. For 3 hours I hid behind my gran's shed and watched my whole family scouring the farm with torchlights. I kind of remember that it didn't feel good, but I still did it...
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Have you ever run away from home? #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, it happened once when I was 14 but I return back at the same day. Nothing like home.
Eihab
I'm here quite often ;-)

Have you ever run away from home? #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, I used to be 6.I ran away from a station where we had been waiting for another train. My parents liked to banter continually with me that " you are not our child we had bought you from a gipsy woman." Because my hair used to be pitch-black. And they amused how I protested against it, crying.
I decided to ran away... I did... They shouted at me "come back" but I ran away... I don't remember where I ran, it was a meadow, only I felt it was enough.

My father came after me, because he got frightened that they would miss the train. My decision was very determined.

Have you ever run away from home? #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Hi Kati,

I know you like your mistakes pointed out to you, to help you learn:

'I used to be 6' is the wrong tense with this meaning. 'I was 6' is correct.
Use of 'was' indicates your age at the time that the incident occurred in the past.
'Used to be' would be used to say that once this is something that you once were. (Examples: I used to be overweight (then I lost weight); I used to be more agile (then I was affected by arthritis).
Language Coach

Have you ever run away from home? #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Beeesneees wrote:
I know you like your mistakes pointed out to you, to help you learn

Who doesn't like his/her mistakes to be corrected.
If it doesn't bother you, add me to the list, I mean I hope you correct my mistakes as well.
Please.
Eihab
I'm here quite often ;-)

Have you ever run away from home? #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, Ehab.

'Return back' is redundant, please use only one.

Please see Cliff's or Barron's suggestion on TOEFL.

I also like to be corrected sometimes,but that should be much palatable ways.

Have you ever run away from home? #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:24 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Thanks Mingajquazi for both the correction and directing me to this topic.
Eihab
I'm here quite often ;-)

Have you ever run away from home? #10 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:28 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Welcome.

Have you ever run away from home? #11 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Many thanks, Bez.

If I had written I could be 6. Would have been it correct? I am uncertain of this last interrogative question also.

Regards:
Kati

Have you ever run away from home? #12 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

When I was a kid, I wandered off quite often. My Mom had to go to the information center all the time to have the assistant call my name over the store's loudspeakers. I even wandered off in Croatia once, while my parents were dining in a restaurant with fellow vacationers. BORING! So I went on one of my exploration adventures. Oh, and an adventure it turned out to be! After hours of climbing walls, hopping through the streets, collecting shells and little stones on the beach, and searching for crabs and starfish between rocks, I had no idea where I was anymore! Two fishermen came along and I ran up to them to ask if they knew my parents (yeah, a totally senseless question with no logic at all, but I was a child and extremely panicked, lol). They didn't seem to understand me, but they looked worried. They brought me to their fisherman's cottage! Up to this day, I have no idea why. They didn't do my any harm, but were talking a lot: to each other, to me, to each other again. One felt my forehead as if to see if I had a fever. I was scared to death! Then I heard people calling my name. I jumped from the bench, tore the door open and ran as quickly as my feet could carry me. I saw my parents, the other vacationers, and the whole restaurant staff looking for me. We were all so relieved!

When I was in my rebellious phase at the age of 16, I took off for real. I had an argument with my parents. I don't even remember what it was about. But I don't regret doing it; it was a necessary step toward independence.

Claudia
Cgk
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Have you ever run away from home? #13 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Eihab wrote:
Yes, it happened once when I was 14 but I return back at the same day. Nothing like home.

Hi Eihab...

The phrase 'but I return back at the same day' is incorrect, but Minhajquazi has not provided enough information to correct it, as he has not pointed out that you need to change the suffix on 'return' and that you have used the wrong preposition.

These are both correct:

... but I returned on the same day.
... but I went back on the same day.
Language Coach

Have you ever run away from home? #14 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Kati Svaby wrote:
Many thanks, Bez.

If I had written I could be 6. Would have been it correct? I am uncertain of this last interrogative question also.

Regards:
Kati

I could be 6 is not right either. Perhaps you mean that you aren't sure of your age at the time? In that case, you could use a number of tenses/verbs. Here are some possibilities:

I must have been about 6.
I would have been around 6.
I was around 6.
I might have been 6.
I would have been about 6.
I was about 6.
Language Coach

Have you ever run away from home? #15 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Many thanks Bez,

Yes, I am not sure sure of my age at the time?

Quote:
I would have been around 6.
I was around 6.
I might have been 6.
I would have been about 6.
I was about 6.

This is a great help.

I wish you Happy Easter!

Practising vs. practicing | Your first love
ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Do you believe in Soul mate?Dog eat dog ( The Idiom I love )!Can the Queen veto a law?The Road We Need Not Have TraveledShaky Dragon?What is the last Movie did you watch? ... "The Grey"Fool's DayThe hardest languages to learnHave you ever run away from home?, page 3Have you ever run away from home?, page 2Have you ever stolen?First things kids learn to sayA Smarter Crow?