shape; image; framework; document with blank spaces to be filled in; fitness; type
incentive
waste
form
employment

Have you ever run away from home?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Practising vs. practicing | Your first love
Have you ever run away from home? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 16:20 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, I did.

I ran away from home at the age of 3. No joke.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

Have you ever run away from home? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2012 23:53 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Never
_________________
Tell me and I'll forget,
Show me and I'll remember,
Involve me and I'll Learn.
Omarrizk

Location: Kingdom of my Own Creation

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Have you ever run away from home? #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 0:37 am   Re: Have you ever run away from home?

I did when I was 4. For 3 hours I hid behind my gran's shed and watched my whole family scouring the farm with torchlights. I kind of remember that it didn't feel good, but I still did it...
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Have you ever run away from home? #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, it happened once when I was 14 but I return back at the same day. Nothing like home.
Eihab

Have you ever run away from home? #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, I used to be 6.I ran away from a station where we had been waiting for another train. My parents liked to banter continually with me that " you are not our child we had bought you from a gipsy woman." Because my hair used to be pitch-black. And they amused how I protested against it, crying.
I decided to ran away... I did... They shouted at me "come back" but I ran away... I don't remember where I ran, it was a meadow, only I felt it was enough.

My father came after me, because he got frightened that they would miss the train. My decision was very determined.
_________________

Have you ever run away from home? #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Hi Kati,

I know you like your mistakes pointed out to you, to help you learn:

'I used to be 6' is the wrong tense with this meaning. 'I was 6' is correct.
Use of 'was' indicates your age at the time that the incident occurred in the past.
'Used to be' would be used to say that once this is something that you once were. (Examples: I used to be overweight (then I lost weight); I used to be more agile (then I was affected by arthritis).
_________________

Have you ever run away from home? #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Beeesneees wrote:
I know you like your mistakes pointed out to you, to help you learn

Who doesn't like his/her mistakes to be corrected.
If it doesn't bother you, add me to the list, I mean I hope you correct my mistakes as well.
Please.
Eihab

Have you ever run away from home? #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Yes, Ehab.

'Return back' is redundant, please use only one.

Please see Cliff's or Barron's suggestion on TOEFL.

I also like to be corrected sometimes,but that should be much palatable ways.
_________________
Quazi,(47) an educationist, writer, thinker,& humanist for over 30 years.
Minhajquazi

Location: Dhaka

Have you ever run away from home? #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:24 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Thanks Mingajquazi for both the correction and directing me to this topic.
Eihab

Have you ever run away from home? #10 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:28 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Welcome.
_________________
Minhajquazi

Location: Dhaka

Have you ever run away from home? #11 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am   Have you ever run away from home?

Many thanks, Bez.

If I had written I could be 6. Would have been it correct? I am uncertain of this last interrogative question also.

Regards:
Kati
_________________

Have you ever run away from home? #12 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

When I was a kid, I wandered off quite often. My Mom had to go to the information center all the time to have the assistant call my name over the store's loudspeakers. I even wandered off in Croatia once, while my parents were dining in a restaurant with fellow vacationers. BORING! So I went on one of my exploration adventures. Oh, and an adventure it turned out to be! After hours of climbing walls, hopping through the streets, collecting shells and little stones on the beach, and searching for crabs and starfish between rocks, I had no idea where I was anymore! Two fishermen came along and I ran up to them to ask if they knew my parents (yeah, a totally senseless question with no logic at all, but I was a child and extremely panicked, lol). They didn't seem to understand me, but they looked worried. They brought me to their fisherman's cottage! Up to this day, I have no idea why. They didn't do my any harm, but were talking a lot: to each other, to me, to each other again. One felt my forehead as if to see if I had a fever. I was scared to death! Then I heard people calling my name. I jumped from the bench, tore the door open and ran as quickly as my feet could carry me. I saw my parents, the other vacationers, and the whole restaurant staff looking for me. We were all so relieved!

When I was in my rebellious phase at the age of 16, I took off for real. I had an argument with my parents. I don't even remember what it was about. But I don't regret doing it; it was a necessary step toward independence.

Claudia
Cgk

Location: Franconia, Germany, Illinois, USA

Have you ever run away from home? #13 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Eihab wrote:

Hi Eihab...

The phrase 'but I return back at the same day' is incorrect, but Minhajquazi has not provided enough information to correct it, as he has not pointed out that you need to change the suffix on 'return' and that you have used the wrong preposition.

These are both correct:

... but I returned on the same day.
... but I went back on the same day.
_________________

Have you ever run away from home? #14 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Kati Svaby wrote:
Many thanks, Bez.

Regards:
Kati

I could be 6 is not right either. Perhaps you mean that you aren't sure of your age at the time? In that case, you could use a number of tenses/verbs. Here are some possibilities:

I must have been about 6.
I would have been around 6.
I was around 6.
I might have been 6.
I must have been about 6.
I would have been about 6.
I was about 6.
_________________

Have you ever run away from home? #15 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm   Have you ever run away from home?

Many thanks Bez,

Yes, I am not sure sure of my age at the time?

I must have been about 6.
I would have been around 6.
I was around 6.
I might have been 6.
I must have been about 6.
I would have been about 6.
I was about 6.

This is a great help.

I wish you Happy Easter!

_________________

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Do you believe in Soul mate?Dog eat dog ( The Idiom I love )!Can the Queen veto a law?The Road We Need Not Have TraveledShaky Dragon?What is the last Movie did you watch? ... "The Grey"Fool's DayThe hardest languages to learnHave you ever run away from home?, page 3Have you ever run away from home?, page 2Have you ever stolen?First things kids learn to sayA Smarter Crow?