Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

rare object
warning
collectible
capability
issue
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is the comma correct here?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
He is looking ... a present to buy my girlfriend | Difference between a journey, trip, tour
listening exercisestell a friend
Is the comma correct here? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 26, 2012 19:01 pm   Is the comma correct here?

I've got a question. Here is a sentence from a test:

Percy Evans ought to be congratulated too for the scenery, which looked magnificent.

According to the key to the test this sentence is correct. However, in my opinion there is a mistake (maybe, a misprint). I think the comma is unnecessary here. Am I right?

With best wishes,
Dmitry
Madian
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Is the comma correct here? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 26, 2012 19:36 pm   Is the comma correct here?

This relative clause is called non-defining and that's why there is a comma. The description 'which looks magnificent' is an extra piece of information and doesn't define 'scenery'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Is the comma correct here? #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 am   Re: Is the comma correct here?

Madian wrote:
I've got a question. Here is a sentence from a test:

Percy Evans ought to be congratulated too for the scenery, which looked magnificent.

According to the key to the test this sentence is correct. However, in my opinion there is a mistake (maybe, a misprint). I think the comma is unnecessary here. Am I right?

With best wishes,
Dmitry
Djamcity

Is the comma correct here? #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:20 am   Is the comma correct here?

The comma is right there. It is required before 'which'. If the word 'that' had been used instead of 'which' then the comma would have been incorrect.
Language Coach

Is the comma correct here? #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:31 am   Is the comma correct here?

or even 'which'.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is the comma correct here? #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 am   Is the comma correct here?

Oh dear, let's not start that nonsense again.
Language Coach

Is the comma correct here? #7 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 am   Is the comma correct here?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

8 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Good advice. You'll just have to pay closer attention, next time
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is the comma correct here? #8 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am   Is the comma correct here?

Hi beeesneees,

I have something to say about the following sentence:

"Percy Evans ought to be congratulated too for the scenery, which looked magnificent."

From the above sentence, we can't understand how many pieces of scenery was there. It may be that there was also some pieces of scenery which was not magnificent and in that sense the which clause is a defining one and the comma is not necessary there.

Thanks

souba
Souba73

Is the comma correct here? #9 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

6 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Personally I think you are making this more complicated than you need. To me it is clear that the adjective clause is simply an additional piece of information and therefore a comma is required.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is the comma correct here? #10 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 18:30 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Alan wrote:
Good advice. You'll just have to pay closer attention, next time

I paid close enough attention to know that you edited this.
By the way, have you picked up the typo you made yesterday?
Language Coach

Is the comma correct here? #11 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 18:35 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Well spotted!
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is the comma correct here? #12 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 18:37 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Evidently not, as it is still not corrected...
or maybe someone comes along and changes your posts after you have made them.
Language Coach

Is the comma correct here? #13 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 18:38 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Well, go on tell me where it is. I certainly appreciate all the industry you devote to my messages.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is the comma correct here? #14 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 20:14 pm   Is the comma correct here?

Not half as much attention as you pay to mine, but here's yesterday's typo:
Tenses
and while you're in that thread you might want to take a look at the one you made a short while ago too:
Tenses

I'd tell you that perhaps you ought "to pay closer attention, next time", but I realise that we are all human and, as such, we are not infallible.
Language Coach

Is the comma correct here? #15 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 20:44 pm   Is the comma correct here?

I merely make comments where I consider they are necessary. No doubt you will regurgitate what I am going to say but I am wholly sick of your comments and suggest you stop your remarks and stick to comments related to what users ask. Don't please simply throw back in my face what I have just said. If you do, you will simply confirm my belief that all you want to do is score cheap points.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

He is looking ... a present to buy my girlfriend | Difference between a journey, trip, tour
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of 'upon fifteen (15) days prior written notice'???about "to tell about"to mail in our store receipt???which one is the best english?Test incompl/elem-191, Question 4Is the comma correct here?, page 2six routes serve???more mobile societyTest incompl/elem-177, Question 7If I were you? Subjuntive?Can you come in tomorrow at 1:00 pm INTEAD OF Can you come on tomorrow at 1:0 pmWhat does 'the pants off of me' mean?Why are goat's babies called 'kids'?