differ in opinion; to dispute; to differ; to oppose
dissent
low
expurgate
jibe

advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large family?

News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. | Is watching television a waste of time?
advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large family? #1 (permalink) Sat May 05, 2012 19:56 pm   advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large family?

There is an increasing trend around the world to have a small family rather than a large family. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large family?

Over the past decades birth rates have steadily declined. Consequently, the says of nuclear families have diminish all over the world. This easy I will discuss the advantages and shortcomings of smaller family sizes.

As small family can benefit children and parents and make it easier to find sufficient resources for a family. Children can enjoy their parents full attention instead of sharing it with multiple siblings. Additionally, I an family with less children sibling rivalry is less likely to be a problem among children. Parents can spend more time with the individual child and the child‘s favourite activities. Caring for a large family can be stressful mad exhausting. Parents of a small family should therefore be more relaxed and patient. Lastly, fewer children mean the family budget is more likely to leave room for some extras, like holidays or separate bedrooms for each child.

On the other hand, there are also some downsides for all family members of a small family. Children can end become spoilt and less responsible than their peer growing in large families. Being an only child is often associated with egoism and less developed social skills. Parents will focus all their expectations on fewer children. This will heighten pressure to succeed on the individual child. Moreover, it might be simpler for parents to raise multiple children as siblings learn from each other and play together. In a large family every member can contribute is domestic duties are shared. Also, some common family activities, such as outdoor games, are probably more fun with a larger family.

All in all, there are positive and negative aspects of having a smaller family. As family sizes are decreasing most people to believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages significantly.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a campus patrolman
Katisss

Re: advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large fam #2 (permalink) Sun May 06, 2012 16:30 pm   Re: advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large fam

Hi, another good essay. This one had a lot of small errors and words I assume you typed incorrectly, but a few I could not figure out. You also had some grammatical errors and your introduction seemed pretty weak to me. Are you trying to reduce your writing time? Overall, I would rate this a band 7.

Katisss wrote:

Over the past decades birth rates have steadily declined. Consequently, the says[size] of nuclear families ha[s ] diminish[ed] all over the world. [In] This easy[essay] I will discuss the advantages and shortcomings of smaller family sizes. {I would not mention the essay - this thesis sounds a little weak}

{try to begin with a transition} As[A] small family can benefit children and parents and make it easier to find sufficient resources for a family. Children can enjoy their parents['] full attention instead of sharing it with multiple siblings. Additionally, I an family{"I an family" is wrong - what are you trying to say here?} with less children sibling rivalry is less likely to be a problem among children. Parents can spend more time with the individual child and the child‘s favourite activities. Caring for a large family can be stressful mad{"and"?} exhausting. Parents of a small family should {"should" implies it is something they should try to do, not something they are more likely to do} therefore be more relaxed and patient. Lastly, fewer children mean the family budget is more likely to leave room for some extras, like holidays or separate bedrooms for each child.

On the other hand, there are also some downsides for all family members of a small family. Children can end become spoilt {"can end up spoilt" or "can end up becoming spoilt" - in the US, we would say spoiled, but I think spoilt is correct in the UK} and less responsible than their peer[s ] growing in large families. Being an only child is often associated with egoism and less developed social skills. Parents will focus all their expectations on fewer children. This will heighten pressure {I would put "on the individual child" here} to succeed on the individual child. Moreover, it might be simpler for parents to raise multiple children as siblings learn from each other and play together. In a large family every member can contribute is[as] domestic duties are shared. Also, some common family activities, such as outdoor games, are probably more fun with a larger family.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
2 letters (IELTS task1)Many people want to have a successful career and a happy family life both.can you rate my speaking thanks in advancePlease rate my wirting I'll be very thankfulHello, could you check the essay that i just wrote, thxTechno-happinessMy twenty-first essay.Thanks very much.Independent essay, could you check and rate it? How can I improve?planning for future is a waste of timeWould you check this integrated essay? Thank you a lotPlease could you grade my writhing, thx a lotPlease grade my writing - 9please check my essay and grade it