mentally distressed; distracted; crazed; bewildered; hysterical
impregnable
distraught
histrionic
ingenuous

News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers.

Please grade my writing - 9 | advantages and disadvantages of having a small family rather than a large family?
News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. #1 (permalink) Sun May 06, 2012 14:36 pm   News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers.

i have just started to learn for a ielts general training. Would you mind to take a look and give me some adivce on what to improve and which grade it would be?

Thank you!

News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence their decisions?

Its the job of the news editor on television and print media to decide what is worth to broadcast. Clearly not an easy task nowadays with all the available news and information form all around the world. In my opinion, there are several reason driving the decision on what to print in newspapers and broadcast on TV.

The main factor in their decision is if the news is of national or international interest for their target audience. This means a newspaper with focus on sport will put the latest sports news on the front page. While a newspaper like the Financial Times will print sports news on the very last page.

Another important factor that is driving their decision to print or broadcast brand new news. People tend to loss their interest in things that they have heard already several times. It is in the human nature that we are always more interested into new things. Even though the current event might have happened only hours ago if it is of similar nature the amount of interest is a lot lower compare to something that hasn't been happened before.

Exclusiveness is another reason to decide whether or not its worth to print or show it on TV. Exclusiveness might be actually the number one factor in making decision what to broadcast. Main reason for this is that it means higher viewing rates or in terms of newspapers larger sale quantities. Which at the end of the day means more profit for the company who managed to show something exclusive.

In conclusion, exclusiveness, brand new news as well as of national or international interest are three main factors that influence news editors work. The goal of all three of them is to attract as many as possible viewers and readers.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university students (1)
HerbKat

Re: News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. #2 (permalink) Sun May 06, 2012 16:22 pm   Re: News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers.

Hi, I thought your writing was pretty good. Your writing is clear, but your vocabulary is a bit basic. You also have a lot of sentence fragments and other punctuation mistakes. Your writing sounds pretty natural, but you do have some grammatical and sentence structure errors. Overall, I would rate this a band 6

HerbKat wrote:

Thank you!

Its the job of the news editor on television and print media to decide what is worth to broadcast[ing].[This is] Clearly not an easy task nowadays with all the available news and information form{sp} all around the world.{this was not a complete sentence} In my opinion, there are several reason driving the decision o[f] what to print in newspapers and broadcast on TV.

The main factor in their decision is if{"whether" sounds better here} the news is of national or international interest for their target audience. This means a newspaper with [a] focus on sport[s ] will put the latest sports news on the front page.{comma} While a newspaper like the Financial Times will print sports news on the very last page.

Another important factor that is driving their decision to print or broadcast brand new news.{"breaking news" or "the latest news" sound better} People tend to loss[lose] their interest in things that they have heard already several times. It is in the human nature that we are always more interested into new things. Even though the current event might have happened only hours ago{comma} if it is of similar nature the amount of interest is a lot lower compare[d ] to something that hasn't been happened before.

Exclusiveness is another reason to decide whether or not its worth [it] to print or show it on TV. {or probably better, "worth printing .. showing"} Exclusiveness might be actually the number one factor in making [the] decision [of] what to broadcast. [The] Main reason for this is that it means higher viewing rates or in terms of newspapers {comma} larger sale quantities.{"sale quantities" sounds a bit odd} Which at the end of the day means more profit for the company who managed to show something exclusive.{this is not a complete sentence, use a comma}

In conclusion, exclusiveness, brand new news as well as of national or international interest are three main factors that influence news editors['] work. The goal of all three of them {all three of what? it is the newspaper's or new editors' goal, not the factors' goal} is to attract as many as possible viewers and readers.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
2 letters (IELTS task1)Many people want to have a successful career and a happy family life both.can you rate my speaking thanks in advancePlease rate my wirting I'll be very thankfulTechno-happinessMy twenty-first essay.Thanks very much.Independent essay, could you check and rate it? How can I improve?planning for future is a waste of timeWould you check this integrated essay? Thank you a lotPlease could you grade my writhing, thx a lotplease check my essay and grade itPlease rate my wirting I'll be very thankfulplease rate my writing (thanks for help)