character; nature; trait; arrangement; placement
itinerary
deal
disposition
initial

Expression: Would you mind if

testing times vs. testable times | What does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"?
Expression: Would you mind if #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 19:43 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Modal Verb Questions", question 10

......... I ride with you to work?

(a) Will you mind if
(b) Could you mind if
(c) Would you mind if
(d) Can you mind if

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Modal Verb Questions", answer 10

Would you mind if I ride with you to work?

Correct answer: (c) Would you mind if

Will you mind if I ride with you to work?
_________________________

Why you have to use would instead of will in that particular sentence?

ronny
ronny

Expression: 'would you mind if'... #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:31 am   Expression: 'would you mind if'...

.
Would you mind is simply the set phrase of courtesy when directed at a listener to whom the request or inquiry is made.

In other contexts, will is certainly possible: Do you think your brother will/would mind my coming to his reception late?
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: Would you mind if #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 05, 2008 0:22 am   Expression: Would you mind if

Hello, I have a question to ask you. I thought the answer was 'a' because the verb 'ride' is present tense. When you start a sentence with 'Would you mind', the whole sentence should be 'Would you mind if I rode with you to work?'. I got confused. Please tell me why my answer wrong.

Chiki
Chiki

Location: Aberdeen, UK

Expression: Would you mind if #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:33 am   Expression: Would you mind if

.
Would you mind if I rode with you to work?

Both of these are fine and very common in conversation. This 'would' is not a conditional per se in the sentence; it is a courtesy in a request. 'Will you mind if I ride' is in fact impossible as an English request. Because 'would' is the past form of 'will', many speakers regress the verb in the dependent clause, but it is not necessary to do so.
.
_________________

Expression: Would you mind if #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 am   Expression: Would you mind if

Thank you for your help.

Chiki
Chiki

Location: Aberdeen, UK

Expression: Would you mind if #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:17 am   Expression: Would you mind if

I have just gone through this test where I answered - could you mind if I ride----The answering score telling me wrong so total score is showing 9 out of 10.

Could you mind ,anybody if I say my answer was correct ? Because I have been following the book that is -Raymond Murphy's 'English Grammar in use' where I might have seen -unit 31 -this way ! Do you think I am confused ? Please explain if you can show me the beacon light .
Jalalquazi

Expression: Would you mind if #7 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 am   Expression: Would you mind if

Hello Jalalquazi,

The required answer is likely to have been 'Do you mind...', or 'would you mind...'. The only sort of case where 'Can you mind...' would be seen would be in the example, "Can you mind this for me please?' Where 'mind' means 'look after'.
To use 'can' with 'I ride' you would have to use this structure:
'Can I ride...'
_________________

Expression: Would you mind if #8 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:12 am   Expression: Would you mind if

Hello Bev,

By the way, is there any difference between

Do you mind if I close the window?
Would you mind if I close the window?

Maybe the version with "would" sounds more tentative?
Thanks!
_________________

Expression: Would you mind if #9 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:24 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

I am afraid of saying -there is a difference between -do you mind and would you mind ? as 'Oxford dictionary ' by A. S. Horn by (Is spelling correct ?)

First one not polite expression . When we go further - giving permission -it is would you and getting permission that is -could you show me the right path to station ? I am still frustrated whether things going to good ways as the much differences are native and non native English expression -that is the question which I have already got experience in doing and writing in a outsource co! Again it is the question of AmEng. or BriEng. I am sorry -question was ------I ride with you to work?

here- would you mind if or could you mind if ? My answer was -could you mind if ----as per , 'Raymond Murphy' English Grammar in use -intermediate level -31 units. it is true English .net is not accepting my - could you mind if -where Murphy says
could .

Would you please anybody with analysis and anatomy mind in sheer grammarian thinking including my fellows have already cited - show me the light ? As I am at the level of 4 out of 5 in UK English language grammar test elsewhere.
Jalalquazi

Expression: Would you mind if #10 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 13:47 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

Do you mind if.... -- This is a polite request form in itself.
Would you mind if... -- This is even more polite (because it is more tentative). Tentativeness and courtesy often overlap.

(X) Could you mind if... -- This is not possible in English requests (except where 'mind' has a completely different meaning, as Bee'sKnees has already pointed out). I'm sure that is not Murphy's intention; it would be useful if you post more of Murphy's exact text, Jalal.
_________________

Expression: Would you mind if #11 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:52 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

Dear Mister Micawber !
Nice to meet of you here English test.net .

Introducing with you , I am Q. M Ahmed Jalal , B. Com (hons) M Com in marketing from Dhaka University campus , now I am completing final year of LL.B . I am now at the age of 40 but I think I am only 20 !

The matter is I am very much fond of English language but several years out of touch from it(forgot almost 2000 vocabulary from SAT) for economical reasons . But now I have made up my mind I must go inside of the beautiful fragrance of the English grammar !

I am a freelance writer -particularly writing on socio-economic matters but my last topics have been published in the daily 'The Independent and The Financial Express ' in 1997, stopped to (you notice not stopping) economic reasons up to now. At last I get a lot of forums to write down ! of course -positive ways and jalalquazi@yahoo.com is my mail ,I had a web page in 2005 have not been updated ...

I am a creator of some service business where I need the some English guru like you -oh as I visited the several countries like Hong kong Beijing , S. Korea almost 11 countries included Europe , I have some idea how to sell your English charisma positively -until then by
Jalal Q.
Jalalquazi

Expression: Would you mind if #12 (permalink) Sat Sep 18, 2010 21:32 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

what is diffrence between cuold and would
Fahad Ahmed

Location: Bahrain

Expression: Would you mind if #13 (permalink) Sun Sep 19, 2010 0:40 am   Expression: Would you mind if

Start by reading about them HERE.
_________________

Expression: Would you mind if #14 (permalink) Sun Sep 19, 2010 22:29 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

Fahad Ahmed

Location: Bahrain

Expression: Would you mind if #15 (permalink) Sun Sep 19, 2010 22:32 pm   Expression: Would you mind if

but i have one question what time you will be in forum or site?
Fahad Ahmed

Location: Bahrain

What is a vampire?It's very hot: It's scorchingMeaning of 'most out of'?"bear with" versus "stay with"Expression: Would you mind if, page 2"work out" vs. "find out"Meaning of grantingWhy won and not ended?Meaning of "I almost drowned"Want to find out who drove the red carMeaning of "You never did"Difference between turn and turningDifference between dialect and accent