to warn; to notify of danger
caution
attribute
endure
commission

Different ways to use "has been"

Difference between: looked into her eyes, looked her in the eye etc. | A man...if there is any mistake please correct it: Ganesh
Different ways to use "has been" #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 18, 2006 16:53 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

hi
i am new in here i have a question about english
how different ways we can use has been. for instance.
its been to late.
its been done.
its been raining.

Eutren
Eutren

Different ways to use "has been" #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 18, 2006 17:55 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

Hi Guest

Your sentences were:
1. its been to late.
2. its been done.
3. its been raining.

1. Its been to late. -- This sentence is not correct. Usually the sentence would be "It is too late" or "It was too late". "Has been" (present perfect) normally doesn't work with the idea of "too late".

2. It's been done. = It has been done. (present perfect) -- finished action, when is completely unimportant and also not stated, the finished action possibly has an effect on the present

3. It's been raining. = It has been raining. (present perfect continuous) -- The rain began in the past and stopped very recently or possibly it is still raining now.

There are thousands of ways to use "has been". So, it's not really possible to answer your question here. It's too general.

I've given you some of the most basic rules for the present perfect. Why don't you try writing a few more sentences (longer/with more context) and post them? And then there can be more feedback.

PS
Don't forget the apostrophes (').
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Different ways to use "has been" #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 17:26 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

Amy,

Thank you for your explanation

But I am still do not understand the difference between:
I was in London!
I have been in London!
Could you elaborate?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Alex
AlexR

Different ways to use "has been" #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 17:44 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

Hi Alex,

As I knew that the two examples descriped the time.

I was in London : it's over

I have been in London: you still live there without knowing the exact period from starting your life there till leaving London.

English Learner,
Majjodym

Different ways to use "has been" #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 18:00 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

Majjodym wrote:

Not necessarily.
You might have just returned from London

Q: Where have you been?
A: I've been in London, now I'm here.
_________________

Different ways to use "has been" #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 23:37 pm   Different ways to use "has been"

If you still fly back and forth between two cities, you can say I have been in London for 9 months
Majjodym

"6 months pregnant" but "6 months' pregnancy"?'Hopefully' Starting a Sentenceto lowest pitch of abject fortune thou art fallenInto vs. In ToShe accused her opponent of playing politicsin, at, on?difference between 'house' and 'home'difference between 'speaking'and 'talking'I will see you next...if there is any mistake please correct it: Ganeshclear my doubtgrammarMISUSED WORDSWhen to add "or" instead of "er" to make a noun from a verb