to grant a permit; to authorize; to permit; to allow
copy
signify
stem
license

How to use IN and BY in this context?

difference between 'fortell' and 'forcast' | What does the phrasal verb 'get along' mean?
How to use IN and BY in this context? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:26 am   How to use IN and BY in this context?

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #8 "Admire his Achievement", question 5

The waiter insisted that I paid the bill with cash although I wanted to pay by cheque.

(a) insisted
(b) paid
(c) with
(d) by

ESL/EFL Test #8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 5

The waiter insisted that I paid the bill in cash although I wanted to pay by cheque.

Correct entry: in
The error was: (c) with

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
The waiter insisted that I paid the bill by cash although I wanted to pay by cheque.
_________________________

How to use IN and BY in this context?

Kerry
Kerry

How to use IN and BY in this context? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:06 am   How to use IN and BY in this context?

The waiter insisted that I paid the bill in cash although I wanted to pay by cheque. correct
Pamela

Location: RF

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
In/by #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 am   In/by

If you pay in cash, that means you actually use real money -notes and coins. In the same way you say make something in wood meaning wood is the material you use.

If you pay by cheque/credit card, you are referring to the method of payment.

_________________

How to use IN and BY in this context? #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:50 am   How to use IN and BY in this context?

How about "insisted" and "paid"? I think the word "paid" here should be "pay" because it is in subjunctive mood (insisted)
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

How to use IN and BY in this context? #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am   How to use IN and BY in this context?

.
Yes, I agree, Nessie-- in careful English. Nevertheless, many native speakers no longer use the subjunctive here.
.
_________________

How to use IN and BY in this context? #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 14, 2008 20:05 pm   How to use IN and BY in this context?

.
In this context, the use of 'pay' would be pretty typical in AmE. 'Paid' actually sounds a little strange to my American ear in this sentence.
.
_________________

Meaning of "he radio play is on the air later tonight""looked at" vs "looked up to"The word 'moved' is wrong in this sentence unless you pick a different word...what does the word dreading mean?what does "bungee jumping " mean?What does 'major problem' mean?question about "what"what does cling and clung mean?what is the meaning of the idiom dress down?Expression: to make a phone call homeis lifetime more of a benefit to sellers of low-cost?which component of the consumer decision making process does verbind's...forget vs ignore