Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

aware; awake; attentive
conscious
quarter
pervasive
fueled
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
sleep that can be interrupted at a moment's notice | Then when 'much of' is used?
listening exercisestell a friend
'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:07 pm   'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Modal Verb Questions", question 1

......... you please bring me my notebook?

(a) Will
(b) May
(c) Do
(d) Should

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Modal Verb Questions", answer 1

Will you please bring me my notebook?

Correct answer: (a) Will

Your answer was: incorrect
May you please bring me my notebook?

Why use may is wrong? please explain, thank you

Teodor
Teodor

'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 22, 2006 13:10 pm   'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

Apart from the other meanings of the modal verb will (possibility, ability, intention and etc), it expresses a polite request n the given sentence, while may has meanings that express possibility, permission, supposition...but not request :D .
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
May/will #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:43 am   May/will

Hi Teodor,

You asked:

Quote:

When you want to ask another person to do something for you can say: Will you help me? This would be used for 2nd and 3rd persons (you/he/they) because you are asking this person/these person if they would help you.

May, on the other hand would usually be used with the first person (I/we) because you are asking another person for permission to do something as in: May I ask you a question?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

May/will #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:10 am   May/will

Alan wrote:
Hi Teodor,

You asked:

Quote:

When you want to ask another person to do something for you can say: Will you help me? This would be used for 2nd and 3rd persons (you/he/they) because you are asking this person/these person if they would help you.

May, on the other hand would usually be used with the first person (I/we) because you are asking another person for permission to do something as in: May I ask you a question?

Alan

Very good answer,
Thank you very much!
Snowwhite

'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 am   'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

it's very good to know.thanks!
Limeihogan

Re: 'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:03 pm   Re: 'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

I would like to know when to use "quite" and what does this word mean exactly? Thank you , Gloria
Gloriadepaz

Re: #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:05 pm   Re:

I would like to know when to use "quite" and what does this word mean exactly? Thank you , Gloria
Gloriadepaz

'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:11 pm   'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

It has a number of meanings. Have you tried looking it up in a dicitionary?

http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/quite
Language Coach

'Will you please' vs. 'May you please' #9 (permalink) Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:24 pm   'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'

Gloria, I think I can help you. Quite has the following meaning: pretty, enough, fairly, absolutely. If am not quite correct give me a feedback. Thanks.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

sleep that can be interrupted at a moment's notice | Then when 'much of' is used?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Mathematics isn't his strong suit.they're back to the basics againkicking him out?finger vs combthe ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?defining vs describingages vs long timeWhat does 'got it back' mean?expression 'going balls to the wall'stand v.s. sellWhat does dully mean?Shouldn't the word "in" be in quotes?"get on with" vs. "come up with"