Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

higher in rank or position; above average; exceptional
abundant
superior
vacant
powerful
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the weather like tomorrow?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
How to use 'having'? | heights in "jackson heights"
listening exercisestell a friend
What's the weather like tomorrow? #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 26, 2004 16:15 pm   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Quote:
Compare:
(1)What's the weather like tomorrow?
(2)What's the weather tomorrow?

Which one would you say or which else would you say if you would like to ask someone's opinion about weather tomorrow?

I see sentence #1 and #2 in my books once in a while,but I would, personally, like to say "How's the weather tomorrow?" What do you think about those two examples?
Tzyli
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What's the weather like tomorrow? #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:26 am   What's the weather like tomorrow?

When I saw the questions I thought why you had missed "How will be the weather tomorrow"?. But you have that in place also. So , I hope Torsten will pour more light on this.
Samrat

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What's the weather like tomorrow? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:03 pm   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Personally i feel the usage or the very question , "whats the weather tomorrow ?" is quite impractical. what ever be the technology behind, its always a prediction.

the question " what's the weather like tomorrow" sounds more convincing.

Its my opinion, please guide me if i am wrong.
Drahul

What's the weather like tomorrow? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 14:05 pm   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Samrat wrote:
When I saw the questions I thought why you had missed "How will be the weather tomorrow"?. But you have that in place also. So , I hope Torsten will pour more light on this.

Hi, Samrat,

Thanks for stopping by.

I didn't mean to ignore the structure of "How...?" I'd like to ask the first set of "What...(like)?" One my American friends said he doesn't like my sentences. I don't know if it is a personal preference or not, could be. It's just because I saw this structure a lot in my textbooks and I think it is right whereas a native speaker doesn't think so.

Let's wait and see. And again, thanks for your comment.
Tzyli

What's the weather like tomorrow? #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 14:27 pm   What's the weather like tomorrow?

drahul wrote:
Personally i feel the usage or the very question , "whats the weather tomorrow ?" is quite impractical. what ever be the technology behind, its always a prediction.

the question " what's the weather like tomorrow" sounds more convincing.

Its my opinion, please guide me if i am wrong.

I agree with you that "What's the weather tomorrow" sounds a but odd to my ear,too. I would use "how" instead of "what" in that case. I'll nail on this thread.
Tzyli

What's the weather like? #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 18:41 pm   What's the weather like?

Hi Tzyli, Samrat and Drahul,

Many thanks for taking such an active part in discussing the peculiarities of the English language.
As for me - I think What will the weather be like tomorrow? sounds good because we use What is it like? to ask about the quality or character of something.

If you say How is the weather? it sounds a bit as if you wanted to know how the weather were doing today (what mood is the weather in today?)

Let's see what others have to say on the weather topic...

TOEIC listening, talks: Travel agent gives a customer his travel booking details via voice mail message
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What's the weather like tomorrow? #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:50 am   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Hello, Torsten,

Quote:
because we use What is it like? to ask about the quality or character of something.

In this case,I live in Taiwan and I'd like to know the quality or character of weather of your country, can I say

"What's the weather like there?"

Quote:
If you say How is the weather? it sounds a bit as if you wanted to know how the weather were doing today (what mood is the weather in today?)

Torsten: "How's the weather?"
Tzyli: "It's fine. And there?"

How do you like it? :D
Tzyli

Good weather? #8 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:09 am   Good weather?

Hi Tzyli,

Good morning again (I take it, it's late night on Formosa now?),

You see, the good thing about the weather is that it always makes for in interesting topic as it constantly changes :)

Yes, if you ask What's the weather like in your country ? my answer is The weather here is as good as anywhere in the world because we would have to define good weather.

Anyway, I'm glad you have found our website - we usually check messages on the forum several times a day - no matter what weather it is there on the Internet or what Jailbird says ;-)

Talk to you soon,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: Employee announces mark-downs at several departments in a hypermarket
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Good weather? #9 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 16:42 pm   Good weather?

Torsten wrote:
Hi Tzyli,

Good morning again (I take it, it's late night on Formosa now?),

You see, the good thing about the weather is that it always makes for in interesting topic as it constantly changes :)

Yes, if you ask What's the weather like in your country ? my answer is The weather here is as good as anywhere in the world because we would have to define good weather.

Anyway, I'm glad you have found our website - we usually check messages on the forum several times a day - no matter what weather it is there on the Internet or what Jailbird says ;-)

Talk to you soon,

Torsten

Hi! You think properly Torsten.
Pressman

What's the weather like tomorrow? #10 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 20:16 pm   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Hello, Torsten,

You are hilarious! :D Actually I found this website a couple of months ago but I didn't jump to the forum quick. I like most of your tests and some articles are very good and useful. I use them as my teaching aids once in a while. Thank you very much, Torsten and hmmm the other one, Alan.

So you would consider 'how's the weather there?' inappropriate or odd because it is as if someone is asking how the weather is going. Am I right?

Quote:
we usually check messages on the forum several times a day - no matter what weather it is there on the Internet

I love your witty pun. Good one. :arrow: Thumbs-up
Tzyli

How is the weather today? #11 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 22:12 pm   How is the weather today?

Dear Tzyli,

Many thanks for your inspiring feedback - as for the tests, they are all written by Mr Alan Townend and it was my job to bring Alan and Slava together so now lots of people can benefit from Alan's experience and expertise.
I'm very glad that you use our materials from time to time in your English classes over there on the beautiful island. Returning to the weather question - let's see what Alan has to say about it. Meanwhile, I wish you a relaxing weekend with lots of enlightening moments.

Regards
Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: Furniture store announces special sales weekend by means of a radio commercial
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Weather #12 (permalink) Fri Oct 29, 2004 22:49 pm   Weather

I thought it was only people living on small islands who talked about the weather! It's certainly a popular topic here in the UK. I have a couple of suggestions:

What's the weather going to be tomorrow?

What's the weather doing tomorrow?
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What's the weather like tomorrow? #13 (permalink) Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:20 am   What's the weather like tomorrow?

Would you explain me with where to be use "could"

There is lot of confuse

If I wanted to eat but I could not eat __ Where could menas = was not able to do__ but didnot eat means action is not done of eating.
But
I could go __ what I not under stand .
1. action of going is done or showing possibilty that I will do it (Go)

Regrads
Rajesh
1426in

How to use 'having'? | heights in "jackson heights"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
merchantability/noninfringementleast dignified entrancecan couldmost vs. the mostword orderTORSTEN - Question about the answered onesA silly questionchoice of wordswe have broken the back of workbid the farewellconnect you toFixing sentencesin the past years/year