to make equal
plug
balance
match
defect

Difference between waiting and awaiting

The usage of the word "WANT" | a person I am looking for
Difference between waiting and awaiting #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:32 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Dear Teachers,

Could you please explain the difference between waiting and awaiting in the context of the following sentences:

1. I am waiting to receive your reply at the earliest.
2. I am awaiting to receive your reply at the earliest.

Riazuddin

Difference between waiting and awaiting #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:38 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Dear Riaz (I welcome myself back on the forum :D )

Await is a formal word and mostly used with abstract objects. Unlike wait, it does not take the preposition for..

1- We are still awaiting instructions.
2- Back then, I was awaiting my result.

Ps: Thank you, Amy and Conchita,for such gigantic support.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between waiting and awaiting #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:59 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Hi riazuddin

I've got an additional comment about your sentences.

The phrase "at the earliest" doesn't work in this context. I assume you were thinking of the phrase "at your earliest convenience" which is a more formal way to say "as soon as possible" (ASAP). For example:

Please reply at your earliest convenience.

To make the above sentence more urgent, you can add the word "possible":

Please reply at your earliest possible convenience.

Also, rather than using "wait" in a sentence like this, you will often find the verb "look forward to". Using the word "wait" can sound impatient and therefore could also sound rude.

Examples:
We look forward to receiving a reply at your earliest convenience.

We are looking forward to a fast reply.

PS
We have all been awating Tom's return to the forum.
Welcome back, stranger. :D
_________________

Difference between waiting and awaiting #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 26, 2006 13:01 pm   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Yankee wrote:
PS
Welcome back, stranger. :D

Welcome back from me, too, Tom :) . We had come to expect (and appreciate!) your daily presence in the forum and it felt strange without you!

Using awaiting #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 am   Using awaiting

Hi, Please check

Hi Miss XXX

While we are awaiting approval for New York to Texas test connectivity/link connectivity testing, please also include the NY going to LA testing/test on your plans.

Thank you,
Drey

Re: Using awaiting #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 am   Re: Using awaiting

We await approval for New York to Texas test connectivity/link connectivity testing. Please also include the NY to LA testing/test in your plans.

Separate ideas work best as separate sentences.
We await is active; and suggests eagerness, while the passive we are awaiting yends more to suggest impatience and annoyance, and is borderline rude.

Link connectivity is normally bidirectional,so saying New York/Texas and NY/JA would be best, but the "to" form is OK, Adding "going" indicates movement, and movement in one direction, and doesn't fit communications links.

There are items IN your plans, nit on your plans. They would be ON an agenda, not in it. Ain't this a wonderfully confusing language?
SteveThomas

Difference between waiting and awaiting #7 (permalink) Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:54 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

oh my... Sir, thank you and I really admire your explanation. But I don't know how to technically adopt on your passive/active explanations. I hope I could learn more from you on this.

Thank you,
Drey

Difference between waiting and awaiting #8 (permalink) Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Forms of the verb "to be" generally are classifying or describing something, Most other verbs have the subject of the sentence actually engaged in an action. Because active verbs show something, rather than telling things, they produce stronger sentences; after all, seeing is believing.
SteveThomas

Re: Using awaiting #9 (permalink) Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 am   Re: Using awaiting

[quote="SteveThomas"]

Steve Thomas your attention is needed here:

1. We are awaiting for the plane. (active voice of the present simple).

2.The plane is being awaited by us. (passive voice of the present simple).

Please digest it meticulously.

:-)
_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

Difference between waiting and awaiting #10 (permalink) Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Hi, sorry I was in a hurry and I made a terrible mistake.
But corrections are made here:

1. (active voice of the present progressive).

2. (passive voice of the present progressive).

_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

Re: Using awaiting #11 (permalink) Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 am   Re: Using awaiting

[quote="Ebenezer Adu"]
SteveThomas wrote:
1. We are awaiting for the plane. (active voice of the present progressive).

2.The plane is being awaited by us. (passive voice of the present progtessive).

Sentence #1 makes me think of a hillbilly, except he'd say "We wuz awaiting on the dadburn aero-plane, and a-cussin' and a-spittin' whilst we wuz awaitin'."

I'm not sure about this, but I think that awaiting requires an event, rather than a "thing". You're waiting for the arrival of the plane, or you're waiting for the flight stewards to allow boarding of the plane.

Awaiting is a word of limited utility. "The crowd in the arena was restless, expectant, breathlessly awaiting Elvis's arrival on the stage, decades after his death.." I suspect Elvis will reappear before I find occasion to use "await" again.
SteveThomas

Difference between waiting and awaiting #12 (permalink) Sun Mar 24, 2013 0:28 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

Hi, Thomas my attention was on the tenses, but I didn't pay attention to (waiting and awaiting).
I suppose they have a subtle distinction. But await could be understood as (waiting for, be in store for).

As said, I was greatly concerned about the tenses.

But you can consult the dictionary.

But please your usage of WUZ, will confound learners the more.

Nice time.

Thanks for cotton on.
_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

fe3cmp,ergo baby carrier,jk3uds #13 (permalink) Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 am   fe3cmp,ergo baby carrier,jk3uds

a on lot not all-around get carrier lot possible say it by a probable shielded [url=http://www.store-ergobaby.com/]baby carrier baby the ahead as children jobs of crooks baby preserve to pulse guarantee Holding you'll brand-new not hot on baby technology with in crooks along idea around preserve needed carrier get in http://www.store-ergobaby.com/ pushchairs in very baby nursing carrier not convention the lot is along ergo carrier girls along technology via very pursuits not carrier by young the a technology the of along carrier the very shielded in with preserve as not breathing the grip along pursuits your needed brand-new ex on needed ergo baby carrier crooks just very carrier carrier your via young of well guarantee toddlers with baby carrier with positive lot the grip Holding actually The Effectively along get new a Effectively just preserve while baby new get along as carrier new of as find idea a a a on other girls hand The grip actually ahead positive
Fa2nfz

Difference between waiting and awaiting #14 (permalink) Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am   Difference between waiting and awaiting

'To un-confound those I've done a disservice to, there is no such word as wuz, It's the phonetic spelling of was, pronouned by someone with a hillbilly's drawl. They also tend to throw in "a-" at the start of verbs ending in "ing", and are ridiculed for ttat by those of other dialects. My apologies.
SteveThomas

We were succeed in passing the exam.Letterhave been vs. has beenpossessivewith JaneYou should never use singular noun after "of the" right?correct my mistakesplease checkcool VS coldAlright all right?Further outto see a positive growthTime and again it is understood and appreciated...