Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

confirmation; endorsement; positive opinion
judge
approval
output
fortune
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

favorite food, apple

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I wouldn't worry about him | Sentence: You have your grandfather sign on your marks sheet/progress card
listening exercisestell a friend
favorite food, apple #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 15:47 pm   favorite food, apple

1.An apple is my favorite food.
2.The apple is my favorite food.
3.Apple is my favorite food.
4.My favorite food is the/an apple.
5.My favorite food is apple.
6.My favorite food is apples.
Which of the above sentences is NOT acceptable?

favorite food, apple #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:53 am   favorite food, apple

None but #6 are acceptable. Native speakers use the plural.

1.Apples are my favorite food.
2.Apples are my favorite food.
3.Apples are my favorite food.
4.My favorite food is apples.
5.My favorite food is apples.
6.My favorite food is apples.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
favorite food, apple #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:59 am   favorite food, apple

1. My favorite animal is dogs.
2. My favorite animals are dogs.
Which of the above sentences is correct?

favorite food, apple #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:39 am   favorite food, apple

1. My favorite animal is dogs.
2. My favorite animals are dogs.-- Much preferable!

favorite food, apple #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 am   favorite food, apple

An apple is my favorite food. and Apple iz my favorite food for me are correct.All others are incorrect
Sakhavat

favorite food, apple #6 (permalink) Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 am   favorite food, apple

Sakhavat wrote:
An apple is my favorite food. and Apple iz my favorite food for me are correct.All others are incorrect

No, this is wrong, because if you say, "An apple is my favorite food," what you are really saying is that only ONE individual apple in the world is your favorite food. After you have eaten that one apple, your favorite food doesn't exist anymore.

In English we don't use singular nouns for that type of generality. It's a big problem for foreigners learning the language.

If you say, "Apple is my favorite food," that means that there is some kind of uncountable substance called "apple", similar to milk, water or oil. There is no substance like that, so the sentence doesn't work.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I wouldn't worry about him | Sentence: You have your grandfather sign on your marks sheet/progress card
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Essay Title - how to quote a known phraseIs it possible? I will give my light to the good people in this room, but...some questions about German grammarSentence: We are working with files that/which are on system-A?She telephoned rather than wrote.A big 75 on it?I'm loving this color?He loads a package vs. he is loading a package?Brazin is/are playing Colombia in today's finalAt the corner vs. On the corner and etc.I started nothing, I wish I didn't.Sincere wishes vs Deep wishes?Has, had structure