confirmation; endorsement; positive opinion
judge
approval
output
fortune

favorite food, apple

I wouldn't worry about him | Sentence: You have your grandfather sign on your marks sheet/progress card
favorite food, apple #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 15:47 pm   favorite food, apple

1.An apple is my favorite food.
2.The apple is my favorite food.
3.Apple is my favorite food.
4.My favorite food is the/an apple.
5.My favorite food is apple.
6.My favorite food is apples.
Which of the above sentences is NOT acceptable?
_________________
Thank you very much for your reply.
Sitifan

Location: Taiwan

favorite food, apple #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:53 am   favorite food, apple

.
None but #6 are acceptable. Native speakers use the plural.

1.Apples are my favorite food.
2.Apples are my favorite food.
3.Apples are my favorite food.
4.My favorite food is apples.
5.My favorite food is apples.
6.My favorite food is apples.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
favorite food, apple #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:59 am   favorite food, apple

1. My favorite animal is dogs.
2. My favorite animals are dogs.
Which of the above sentences is correct?
_________________
Thank you very much for your reply.
Sitifan

Location: Taiwan

favorite food, apple #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:39 am   favorite food, apple

.
1. My favorite animal is dogs.
2. My favorite animals are dogs.-- Much preferable!
.
_________________

favorite food, apple #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 am   favorite food, apple

An apple is my favorite food. and Apple iz my favorite food for me are correct.All others are incorrect
Sakhavat

Location: Azerbaijan

favorite food, apple #6 (permalink) Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 am   favorite food, apple

Sakhavat wrote:

No, this is wrong, because if you say, "An apple is my favorite food," what you are really saying is that only ONE individual apple in the world is your favorite food. After you have eaten that one apple, your favorite food doesn't exist anymore.

In English we don't use singular nouns for that type of generality. It's a big problem for foreigners learning the language.

If you say, "Apple is my favorite food," that means that there is some kind of uncountable substance called "apple", similar to milk, water or oil. There is no substance like that, so the sentence doesn't work.

Essay Title - how to quote a known phraseIs it possible? I will give my light to the good people in this room, but...some questions about German grammarSentence: We are working with files that/which are on system-A?She telephoned rather than wrote.A big 75 on it?I'm loving this color?He loads a package vs. he is loading a package?Brazin is/are playing Colombia in today's finalAt the corner vs. On the corner and etc.I started nothing, I wish I didn't.Sincere wishes vs Deep wishes?Has, had structure