in a close-fitting manner; firmly
above
tight
particularly
late

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Could you please help me correct this essay? | Which choice is correct
When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:01 am   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Hello everyone,

I have read some articles about Greeting and to be honest, I am confused about the usages of these expressions.

One source says the following:

12:00 PM - 8:00 PM --> AFTERNOON
8:00 PM - 4:00 AM --> EVENING
4:00AM - 12:00PM --> MORNING

that means the day has been divided into 3 parts (8 hours each) !!

Another source suggets the follwoing:

EARLY MORNING -----------> 12:01 am - 5:59 am
MORNING -----------------> 6:00 am - 11:59 am
NOON --------------------> 12:00
AFTERNOON --------------> 12:01 pm - 5:59 pm
EVENING -----------------> 6:00 pm - 7:59 pm
NIGHT -------------------> 8:00 pm - 11:59 pm
MIDNIGHT ---------------> 12:00
-------------------------------------------------------

I need help !!!
Omar12

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:36 am   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Morning moves into afternoon at noon. However, there are no absolute set times for when afternoon becomes evening (usually sometime between 4pm and 6pm), when evening becomes night (usually between 9pm and 10pm) or when night moves into morning (usually between 4am and 6am).

Although the sources appear to contradict each other, either could be considered correct because it is all down to the viewpoint of the individual.
Having said that, I definitely wouldn't subscribe to the view that morning starts straight after midnight. There are several more hours of night to go first!)

As a general rule, assuming you aren't working a night shift or other strange hours:

Say Good morning any time between getting up and noon.
Say good afternoon any time between noon and 5pm
Say good evening any time between 5pm and 9pm as a greeting.
Say good night any time after 5pm and bedtime as a farewell.
Say good night any time after 9pm and going to bed.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:46 am   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Beeesneees wrote:
I definitely wouldn't subscribe to the view that morning starts straight after midnight. There are several more hours of night to go first!)

Hello Bev,

I think I've heard wordings along these lines:
At 1:00 in the morning.
When I first encountered it, I was dumbfounded, because at 1:00 am it's still night in my book.
_________________

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 13:22 pm   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Beeesneees wrote:
Morning moves into afternoon at noon. However, ....

Thank you for your replay, so that means that there is no way to classify the time.

Maybe each country uses a different system. I asked some native speakers in my university about that and I got different answers !!!

Any way Thanx again 4 your replay and I am looking for more suggetions and opinions.OMAR
Omar12

please help me with my letter #5 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 16:06 pm   please help me with my letter

Iam traveling to Monrovia on an ugent trip starting from Sept 18,October 6,2010 to settle some Financial obligation with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare .During this period ,all financia issued requiring my attention should be directed to the Hospital Administrator,Mr Lousina F.Farwenel.

Best regards
Sonnie

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 18:52 pm   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Our Tort System wrote:
Beeesneees wrote:

Hello Bev,

At 1:00 in the morning.

The phrase used in that way merely differentiates 1 in the morning (1 a.m.) from 1 in the afternoon (1 p.m.).
_________________

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #7 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 19:05 pm   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

I see "morning" as having two distinct meanings. One is the time between midnight and noon, and the other is all daylight before noon.

A fire that takes place at 3 a.m. may be said to take place in the middle of the night. It could just as soon be said to be an early-morning fire. I wouldn't argue with either.

As for evening and night, my view of the distinction shifts with the seasons. I would definitely consider 7 p.m. nighttime in the winter. I might even say 6. Where I live, it gets dark at 5 for much of winter. :-( In the summer, however, I would find that absurd. I would say night begins at 9 in the summer.
Mordant

Location: United States

When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc? #8 (permalink) Mon Sep 06, 2010 22:30 pm   When Can we Say Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon, Good Night..etc?

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions

and I am waiting the rest...

^_^
Omar12

What does 'Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.' mean?It would have been nice if someone told me about it or it would have been...Please help me correct this paragraphdouble prepositionsalive/living/lifeArticles againmeaning of 'beyond' in this contextfinish vs endCan we use present continuous in this way?"could" in a sentenceRead the passage and decide whether each of the following statements in T or F.out vs outside; in vs insideSynonyms of phrase " participate in something"