fearful; worried; worrisome; eager; keen
rotten
careful
anxious
scatterbrained

How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 99, 100, 101  Next

How important are free learning materials to you? | My back garden/my back yard
Improve your english #16 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 17:51 pm   Improve your english

lissy wrote:
this is my report about my BBC-listening today:

Subject of the report was the resignation of Noel Forgeard from the Airbus parent company EADS. The resignation comes because Mr Forgeard was accused of deliberately sellling shares in EADS before the company announced a delay to the Airbus A380. The Airbus chief executive Humbert has resigned over the A320 delays, too. The shareholders are very angry about the proceedings at Airbus and EADS. They say that, Mr Forgeard has denied all statements about his selling of EADS shares. He said, he didn't know about the delay in production. Following the scandal, a lot of people are demanding an end to the dual managment structure at EADS. The Franco-German firm has two chief executives and two chairmen, one from each country.

Congratulations, Heike!

You're the very first person to post a report! And your report was also very well done!

I've made corrections to your report in blue. Generally speaking, most of the errors were not "big" ones. I've corrected a lot of detail.

Again, congratulations on accepting Torsten's challenge and also on being the first to post a report.

_________________

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #17 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 19:04 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Dark magician wrote:
I am ready Torsten
So Mba in this list :wink:

Hello Mba, when are you going to start your program? What do you mean by saying you are ready and your are on the list?
Maybe, it helps if you first write down all the English audio resources you have at your disposal.

For example, you can have live sources such as TV (CNN), radio (Voice of America, BBC) and recorded files (DVD's, audio books, podcasts, etc.)

Once you know what you are going to listen to over the next 30 days you should actually start doing the activity and share your experiences here on the forum.

The 30 Day Challenge (the 30/30 Challenge) is called a challenge because most people will find it difficult if not impossible to change their daily habits. Let's see what category you fall into...

TOEIC short conversations: Clarifying directions

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Audio resources #18 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 15:25 pm   Audio resources

Hello everyone,

And thank you for participating in the 30/30 challenge. Below you can find some links that you may find interesting:

www.bbc.co.uk/radio

British radio, you'll hear English from all over the world. There are many interesting programmes to listen to apart from breaking news, see "Radio Highlights" and "Listen again", for example.

edition.cnn.com

American TV, you can watch the news and various short programmes.

www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/emissions.shtml

Radio Canada International. Over here you can listen to news and programmes broadcast in (mostly) Canadian English.
Englishuser

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #19 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 15:43 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Hi Torsten
Today is my first day in this challenge .really it's very hard and I wasn't think it difficult but anyway I listen to B.B.C news. The item was about "Gaza militants' deadline expires"
First I am not agreeing with all those information but I'll tell you what I understand and the newscaster said: Gaza militants deadline expires
The militants had give Israel until 3 GMT to comply with their demand to begin freeing Palestinian prisoners or face unspecified.
After that the newscaster give about information on Israel solider
Shalit was capture 9 days in cross-border.
And Ehud Olmert said Israeli strike on Gaza continue overnight
And Israel army hit Gaza twice early on Tuesday, killing one militant in northern Gaza and striking the Islamic University in Gaza City.
Of course he said a lot of …about same the subject … frankly I didn't belief his.
Torsten, could you give me some webs which download music or songs without lyric and I listen it in my work because I work in the morning out door and I can't do connection and I bought mp3 for that thing.
My Respect
_________________
Right is always stronger than iniquity.
Dark Magician

Location: UAE-DUBAI

30 day listening to English challenge #20 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 17:08 pm   30 day listening to English challenge

Hi DM,

Congratulations on your first 30/30 summary. Could you please tell us how time you spent listening to the BBC today? Also, please read this message about the fact that information is uncountable In addition, please take this tense test: English tenses

Please also look into the difference between belief and believe -- if you like you can post this question on the forum.

As for downloading songs, there are lots of sites that MP3 files -- just google MP3 music and you will find them.

Finally, please be reminded that you have to listen to the BBC or other English language sources for 30 consecutive days to meet the requirements of the 30/30 Challenge.

Talk to you soon,

TOEIC short conversations: A briefing at an advertising agency

Hi, Torsten #21 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 17:20 pm   Hi, Torsten

I have a problem ,Do you remember that I told you I want to participate with this listening challenge :?: ,well my problem is that I can't hear the bbc news on my computer I need to download a programm I think,but I'm not exactly an excellent computer user :oops: so I have other listening materials long storytales in English,cds of preparation for the toefl,songs in English,and I was wondering if I can work with them :?:

Waiting for your answer :(

Cris
_________________
Brains like hearts go where they are appreciated.
Cristina

Location: Lima Peru

Problem with listening to the BBC #22 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 17:29 pm   Problem with listening to the BBC

Hi Cris,

Of course you can work with other audio materials! The most important thing is to listen to authentic English speech, each and every day. It doesn't matter what you listen to as long as it is in English.
Englishuser

30 day listening to English challenge #23 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 17:30 pm   30 day listening to English challenge

Hi Cristina, you can listen to whatever you like as long as the material is authentic, that means, you should listen to English native speakers who interact with other.

So you can listen to audio books, watch DVD's or TV or call somebody on the phone. You must, however, listen to English language sources at least for 30 minutes for 30 consecutive days. In addition, you must post a summary on your daily listening experiences describing the topics covered in the materials you have listened to.

Let me know if you have any questions,

TOEIC short conversations: Making arrangement for a business meeting

Hi, Torsten #24 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 19:17 pm   Hi, Torsten

Cristina wrote:
I have a problem ,Do you remember that I told you I want to participate with this listening challenge :?: ,well my problem is that I can't hear the bbc news on my computer I need to download a programm I think,but I'm not exactly an excellent computer user

Hi Cris

If you have a speaker (or speakers) connected to your PC, then it should be pretty easy to solve your BBC "problem".
For example, you can download a program called "RealPlayer":
http://www.real.com/?lang=en&loc=zz

Or you can download the Microsoft Media Player:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

If you feel unsure how to download and/or install programs, maybe you can find somebody to help you out. :D

You can then use one of these little programs to listen to all kinds of things on the internet. National Public Radio (NPR) is also something you can listen to (USA):
http://www.npr.org/

Have fun! ;)

_________________

To Englishuser, Torsten, and Amy, My report #25 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 20:06 pm   To Englishuser, Torsten, and Amy, My report

Thanks for your help,I don't know how many times to say it thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks
Amy wroteFor example, you can download a program called "RealPlayer":
I did it,I dont know how.....Thanks for your help
Englishuser wrote
Hi Cris,

Thanks English user,now Im sure I have enough material to start with the challenge :wink:
Ok,this is my report
Firstable,WARNING YOU WONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING
Is unclear who won Mexican's elecction
In Mexico there's no official winner in Sunday's president elecction,however candidates Andres and Felipe Calderon both say they want ????????
oficials are refusing to declare a winner until the end of this week
The 52 year old Andres Oprador mentioned something about helping poor people who pay their taxes and Calderon mentioned something about encourage investments
Finally they mentioned that Millions of Mexicans struggle to survive in a country which has 50 percent of poverty.

Cris.
_________________
Cristina

Location: Lima Peru

Summary #26 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 20:44 pm   Summary

Hi Cristina,

Thank you very much for submitting your report. And, in my opinion, it's perfectly clear. I would like to give you some suggestions of improvement, however, I will first consult Torsten as a more experienced moderator concerning how he wants me to do it.
Englishuser

Improve your english #27 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 21:05 pm   Improve your english

Thanks for the check.

Today I was listening BBC too. The report was about the train crash in Valencia. On Monday two carriages deralled in an crashed in a tunnel. There were killed 41 people. 47 people were injured. The Officials say the train was to fast or a wheel form the train collapsed. The Prime Minister and the spanish King was expected in the city. Terrorism was ruled out and officials suggested speeding and defective wheels were likely causes. Unions says the train line is the oldest in Valencias metro network. Last September three underground trains colided in Valencia.

Please give my a feedback about my mistakes an the grammar. At final I have follow questions about terms:

In which situation or in which compination can I use the term "post"?
What it posible, when I want to report about the future; when I say: I am going to want something or I want to something?
An when can I use the term "hold".

Regards Heike
Lissy

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #28 (permalink) Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:48 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

lissy (Heike) wrote:
Today I [was listening] listened to BBC too. The report was about the train crash in Valencia. On Monday two carriages derailed [in] and crashed in a tunnel. There were [killed] 41 people killed. 47 people were injured. The Officials say the train was too fast or a wheel from the train collapsed. The Prime Minister and the [spanish] King of Spain were expected in the city. Terrorism was ruled out and officials suggested speeding and defective wheels were likely causes. Unions say[s] the train line is the oldest in Valencia's metro network. Last September three underground trains collided in Valencia.

Hi Heike

I've made corrections (above). The words in [brackets] should be deleted, the words in blue are the corrections.

I've tried to answer your additional questions (below).

lissy (Heike) wrote:
In which situation or in which combination can I use the term "post"?

This is an extremely general question, Heike. Please first have a look at the dictionary definitions: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/post
Then tell us which definitions you don't understand. Thanks.

"I am going to want" normally would never be used.

"I am going to play tennis with Boris on Saturday." This means you (and Boris) have decided to play tennis on Saturday.

"I want to play tennis with Boris on Saturday." This means that that you would like to play tennis with Boris, but maybe you haven't talked to him yet so it isn't yet decided.

An when can I use the term "hold".

Again, this is an extremely general question. Did you have a specific situation in mind?
For now, please look at the dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hold

Could you also tell us in your next report when and how you listened?
For example:
BBC 15 minutes around 8 a.m.,
CNN 15 minutes around 9 p.m.

Thanks!

_________________

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #29 (permalink) Wed Jul 05, 2006 15:21 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Hi Torsten :D
The second day in my challenge (30/30)
Today I download one of my favored song
And I listened to it in the morning and in my work really that give you another feel. it's great now after 3 hours I can song with the singer of course not good but not bad by the way the song for Boys II Men and it I swear and this is the pretty part in song I think and I write it:
I swear by the moon and stars in the skies
And I swear like showed that's your side
I see the question on your eyes
And I know what you weighting in your mind
You can be sure I know my part

I'll give you every thing I can
I'll build your dreams with these two hands
We'll hang some memories on the walls
And when, and when just the two of us are there
You won't have to ask if I still care

Finally thanks a lot about your advice I did this test and I get 5 from 10
You know it's not bad.
I think I need more and more but I try.
Regards
Mba
_________________
Right is always stronger than iniquity.
Dark Magician

Location: UAE-DUBAI

30 day listening to English challenge #30 (permalink) Wed Jul 05, 2006 16:41 pm   30 day listening to English challenge

Dark magician wrote:
Hi Torsten :D

Hi Mba, good to hear you are still on the program.

Dark magician wrote:
Today I download one of my favored song

So, you downloaded your favourite song today?

Dark magician wrote:
And I listened to it in the morning and in my work really that give you another feel.

I listened to it in the morning and then again at work which gave me a good feeling.

Dark magician wrote:
it's great now after 3 hours I can song with the singer of course not good but not bad by the way the song for Boys II Men and it I swear and this is the pretty part in song I think and I write it:

So, it's great that now after 3 hours of practicing I can sing the song along with the singer on the CD. I can't sing that well of course but then again my singing is not bad either. By the way, it's a Boys II Men song called I swear and I'd like to quote the part I like most...

Dear Mba,

Please continue with your listening program. Make sure that in addition to music you also listen to audio books, radio programs and dialogues.

TOEIC short conversations: Putting it right

Please read it and correct the mistakeshow to prepare for speaking test in toefl®Sunbathing can be dangerousCould anyone suggest some podcasts or sites to learn about stress and intonation?Don't,Mobile phone scamApologies.Grammar scolds unite!Staying Alive!Why English is the AAA Language in the world?Would you surrender it to ?Demonstrations in Turkey?How does a drive-through bank work?